Raising 400 chicks

Pics

howdyitsmia

Songster
May 23, 2020
Utah, United States
Howdy guys! This isn’t to ask for help or anything, I just thought I’d share what I’ve been up to lately.

After two months of preparation, on October 1st, I received 400 chicks in the mail. I worked on a farm this summer and I found out that they wanted to start a chicken egg selling operation. I offered to help and ended up helping manage it. Everything came together so well I couldn’t believe my luck, we got a huge chicken trailer for free, along with feeders and brooder boxes.
Here’s a picture of the trailer and what it looks like on the inside.
609ED4F5-2145-4C5C-A20F-51F2AF783570.jpeg
5ED07C4F-2C9E-4393-90CA-C15A470A85F0.jpeg

My dad helped me fix up the brooders and make them no longer a fire hazard, and he wired them up as well. There are three ceramic heaters in each one, as well as a red light. Here’s what they look like on the inside.
34A20EA3-6C5B-4C4B-BE32-BEF319691B0D.jpeg

Alright now for the cute part, the 400 chicks in the trailer! They are two weeks old at the moment. We got Barred Rocks, White Leghorns, Black Australorps, Rhode Island Reds, Easter Eggers, and 3 Sapphire gems. (because they were at the feed store and I thought they were pretty.)

Here’s some crappy pictures from when they were a few days old :
E2A5C2F2-64CD-492F-8A3F-0D6122F53A4A.png
E0B56D4B-8843-4B5D-A7E6-49AADECE8A6E.jpeg
EAFF9C6F-1BD7-4D46-966D-39F85CE2A846.png

And here’s some from today:
EE160C8E-EFDE-44DB-85A6-4253DA3FE151.jpeg
FEE233EB-2BD0-4682-A52A-3437D83AA9B8.jpeg
CD9796AD-0FF7-4260-B8D2-6A22FE6FFC30.jpeg

Now for the sad part, I’ve been looking around the coop and cleaning any poopy butts I’ve seen to try and prevent deaths, and I’ve been adding probiotics to the water, but unfortunately we’ve lost a few. Three were dead upon arrival, and so far we’ve had four that died from various causes. One we had to cull because of a leg deformity, and three others died from unknown causes. Although we’ve had deaths, I’m glad that the mortality rate is still fairly low. We started a little chick graveyard, where we bury the chicks and then place stumps over the holes so that nothing digs them up.
image.jpg

And now that I’ve made you sad, here’s a picture of Cookie, my light brahma, to cheer you up.
3CDB093E-A224-405F-9EFB-745B85AF21BA.png

I’m so grateful for all of the people that have worked to make this happen. My dad, my boss, and my aunt especially. It’s insane that I have an opportunity to help with something like this at this age.

I’ll probably post again as the chicks get older, or edit this post to keep anybody who is interested updated.
Also, if you live in Northern Utah, I’m doing this with Better Foods Farm. You can buy fresh produce from them at the farmers markets in Ogden, Park City, and Salt Lake City, and you can preorder and pick up from the farm too! eventually we’ll be selling eggs as well in March!

Howdy guys! This isn’t to ask for help or anything, I just thought I’d share what I’ve been up to lately.

After two months of preparation, on October 1st, I received 400 chicks in the mail. I worked on a farm this summer and I found out that they wanted to start a chicken egg selling operation. I offered to help and ended up helping manage it. Everything came together so well I couldn’t believe my luck, we got a huge chicken trailer for free, along with feeders and brooder boxes.
Here’s a picture of the trailer and what it looks like on the inside.
View attachment 2374427View attachment 2374429
My dad helped me fix up the brooders and make them no longer a fire hazard, and he wired them up as well. There are three ceramic heaters in each one, as well as a red light. Here’s what they look like on the inside.
View attachment 2374436

Alright now for the cute part, the 400 chicks in the trailer! They are two weeks old at the moment. We got Barred Rocks, White Leghorns, Black Australorps, Rhode Island Reds, Easter Eggers, and 3 Sapphire gems. (because they were at the feed store and I thought they were pretty.)

Here’s some crappy pictures from when they were a few days old :View attachment 2374467View attachment 2374468View attachment 2374469

And here’s some from today:
View attachment 2374470View attachment 2374471View attachment 2374472

Now for the sad part, I’ve been looking around the coop and cleaning any poopy butts I’ve seen to try and prevent deaths, and I’ve been adding probiotics to the water, but unfortunately we’ve lost a few. Three were dead upon arrival, and so far we’ve had four that died from various causes. One we had to cull because of a leg deformity, and three others died from unknown causes. Although we’ve had deaths, I’m glad that the mortality rate is still fairly low. We started a little chick graveyard, where we bury the chicks and then place stumps over the holes so that nothing digs them up.
View attachment 2374479

And now that I’ve made you sad, here’s a picture of Cookie, my light brahma, to cheer you up.
View attachment 2374481

I’m so grateful for all of the people that have worked to make this happen. My dad, my boss, and my aunt especially. It’s insane that I have an opportunity to help with something like this at this age.

I’ll probably post again as the chicks get older, or edit this post to keep anybody who is interested updated.
Also, if you live in Northern Utah, I’m doing this with Better Foods Farm. You can buy fresh produce from them at the farmers markets in Ogden, Park City, and Salt Lake City, and you can preorder and pick up from the farm too! eventually we’ll be selling eggs as well in March!
Snap that’s a lot!

Please tell me how this goes! I want to do something like this at my home, except with only 50-100 chicks. 8/400 is very good (not including the three who passed in the mail)! It gives me hope...
I’ll keep this updated! If you do decide to do it I’d be glad to give you any info I have. There’s a great book called “Success with Baby Chicks” by Robert Plamondon that you might find helpful.

First....I as a small time back yard birder cannot wrap my head around 400 chicks!

That is a TON of work!

The brooders are a great time tested design. Hats of to you, your dad and your Auntie.
Thanks! Luckily I have 4 great siblings that are willing to help me feed and water the chicks.
Looking forward to how things progress.

Thanks! Luckily I have 4 awesome siblings that are willing to help me feed and water the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom