Raising a blind chick

Hershey is thriving! We've discovered that she can see or sense bright light. She tends to gravitate towards the window when it's bright and sunny out and sometimes looks like she's trying to peck at invisible things floating through the air when in bright light so she must see little spots. She got VERY excited when I used the flash to take her picture and came running!

View attachment 3473484View attachment 3473485View attachment 3473486
Is the cat behind her licking its lips?

Is the cat behind her licking its lips?

Yes, he is... he's bad lol. Ollie knows he's not allowed to get the chicks but it doesn't stop him from trying. I had her protected the whole time but he's a brat!

20230419_093545.jpg

Hershey is thriving! We've discovered that she can see or sense bright light. She tends to gravitate towards the window when it's bright and sunny out and sometimes looks like she's trying to peck at invisible things floating through the air when in bright light so she must see little spots. She got VERY excited when I used the flash to take her picture and came running!

With my experience, you just have to make sure everything is in the same exact spot. She is learning already where everything is, so don't change a thing. Also, if you need a bigger area for her, make sure to expand it slowly so she can accommodate to it. I have 5 house chickens and the key is clean every day and diapers are a great investment! Might help with the hubby lol... she's very adorable! I have a blind crossbeak girl, and one that went blind. They are doing great, but they have to be indoors...

With my experience, you just have to make sure everything is in the same exact spot. She is learning already where everything is, so don't change a thing. Also, if you need a bigger area for her, make sure to expand it slowly so she can accommodate to it. I have 5 house chickens and the key is clean every day and diapers are a great investment! Might help with the hubby lol... she's very adorable! I have a blind crossbeak girl, and one that went blind. They are doing great, but they have to be indoors...

I did have to move her out to the screen porch to a bigger brooder. She's doing wonderfully and has adjusted to a different type of food dish. She has learned the sound of food pouring in the dish, will run over, rub her break around in it, then start eating. She also feels around with her feet for the water dish and will come running when she hears the cage for open. I always have to make sure I get my hands down fast enough to hold her though or she'll run right out and fall on the floor! She loves to be held and snuggled and will talk to me while snuggling. I take her out to the grass every now and then and she enjoys "dusting" in it and munching on it. It took her a little bit to understand that she can pick at it and eat it. I'll have to get some updated pictures of her. She's growing well. She has a younger companion in her brooder with her for now to keep her company, a younger lavender ameraucana.

I did have to move her out to the screen porch to a bigger brooder. She's doing wonderfully and has adjusted to a different type of food dish. She has learned the sound of food pouring in the dish, will run over, rub her break around in it, then start eating. She also feels around with her feet for the water dish and will come running when she hears the cage for open. I always have to make sure I get my hands down fast enough to hold her though or she'll run right out and fall on the floor! She loves to be held and snuggled and will talk to me while snuggling. I take her out to the grass every now and then and she enjoys "dusting" in it and munching on it. It took her a little bit to understand that she can pick at it and eat it. I'll have to get some updated pictures of her. She's growing well. She has a younger companion in her brooder with her for now to keep her company, a younger lavender ameraucana.
That's so AWESOME!!!! Definitely keep a friend with her. They will be best friends, and her friend will help her eat and it's someone for her to talk to! I'm so happy she's doing well!!!!! I love a great rescue!!!! I run a mini rescue, so I love to hear when someone has the heart like me and does whatever it takes!!! You're amazing!!!!

She is beautiful! Keep us posted on her journey! I would love to hear about her!

I took her outside and got a few more pictures since she's grown so much. She's most comfortable standing on my hands, especially in new situations.

She feels around with her beak for goodies and munchies

20230711_190905.jpg

She high steps to feel around where she's stepping

20230711_190936.jpg
20230711_190924.jpg

I'm her security blanket. As long as she can hear me or feel me, she feels safe.

20230711_191057.jpg
20230711_191102.jpg

My hands are where she likes to sit. She feels safe then :)

20230711_191229.jpg
20230711_191231.jpg

Aww, how cute! I’m glad she’s doing well. I have a hen who’s going blind, and she’s doing what you described Hershey doing as a chick, feeling the water and food, bumping into the ramp to get inside from the run, etc. She can jump onto the roost and nesting boxes perfectly well, but she’s been kept in the same place for four years. Since Hershey’s never been able to see, she probably wouldn’t be able to roost. How has she been doing?

Back
Top Bottom