Raising a mixed flock

Jillian12

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Visalia, California
Hello everyone. I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a city girl, but have always been country at heart. Recently moved to a place where I can have chickens, so I purchased 5 tolbunt polish chicks, 2 nankin bantams, 2 buff orpingtons and 2 silkies. I also have a cat and dog....oh and 2 year old and 6 month old boys!

I've been navigating through this site and gaining a lot of valuable information about raising chickens, so thank you everybody. I look forward to gaining more knowledge about raising chickens. They are addicting!
D.gif

Any tips on raising a mixed flock?

Greetings from Kansas, Jillian 12, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Not sure what tips I have. If the chicks are raised together they usually just grow up together and there are no problems. I have 20 chickens at the moment comprised of 13 different breeds - they get along great. Good luck to you!

Thank you Mr MKK Farms and redsoxs. Good to hear that mixed breeds can get along. I just don't want to have cross-breeds if I ever decide to hatch eggs. There is so much to learn!

welcome-byc.gif
If you never want to have mixed breeds - you need to have breeding pens - for instance a pen with 1 silky rooster and maybe 2 or 3 silky hens .you would want to have it made so they cannot have drop in visits from some other rooster. If you don't intend to hatch eggs for a long period of time - you could let all your breeds be together. Then if you decide to have them in breeding pens - don't use eggs for hatching for about 3 weeks - so any contribution from other roosters won't end up as chicks.

No, I wouldn't raise anything to eat. I have no argument with people that do. It's just not for me. Actually the 'drumstick' part came about because everyone seemed to be "chicken lady " and various versions of it. All I could come up with was drumstick because that's my favorite part.

Back
Top Bottom