Raising a pair of drakes?

DuckyVeit

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2020
35
42
36
KY
Has anyone ever raised a pair of drakes by themselves? What was your experience? What should I expect?

For those that didn't follow my last thread, I've raised three ducks since they were somewhere around a week old. They turned out to be two drakes and a hen, so I rehomed the female to a great home.

Here are my handsome guys. 😍

Zeus
20201024_151854.jpg


Link
20201024_151316.jpg
 

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
May 3, 2009
109,651
275,219
1,907
New Jersey
Sometimes they will coexist with no problems whatsoever. Sometimes in the spring they start fighting and trying to breed one another. Have a 'Plan B' in mind in case that happens. Generally separate pens where they can see one another work well.
 

SuperDuck

Songster
Mar 28, 2018
452
2,305
206
Los Banos, Ca
I have two boys that live together. Once in awhile they attempt to mate with each other but seeing as they are usually around us, they get separated quickly and get a stern talking to.

They aren’t any worse than raising two kids. 95% of the time is great. The other 5% is just irritating.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom