Raising a rooster

I raise my roosters the same way I raise my hens. My two roosters that were raised with a very hands-off approach (not raised by me) turned out aggressive. One of them I trained to stop, and now he doesn't even show aggression to small children. The other is extremely stubborn, so he gets a separate pen. Another rooster (that I found abandoned) is very bold to humans (follows people around, not afraid of me at all) and is completely non-aggressive, so just because he's friendly won't make him mean, in my opinion.
Here's a picture there of some of my rooster-only flock just hanging out together:
P_20181119_115850_vHDR_Auto.jpg

I have 4 roosters total that a raised from chicks. Lavender orpington, silkie, showgirl, and a mystery chick. I held them everyday and was with them a lot but not a single one completely tamed down like a few of my hens did. Only the lavender orpington is aggressive and its not all the the time. Only to little kids, animals, and strangers but sometimes he goes after me. The other three have never once showed even a slight bit of aggression other then the silkie roo bites sometimes when you try to catch him. They just run when you try to pick them up.
I have read that Lavender Orps have a tendency to be aggressive, and now another example to add to the list of several posts, blogs and articles. I was considering getting Lavenders, but think I will avoid them altogether.

I have read that Lavender Orps have a tendency to be aggressive, and now another example to add to the list of several posts, blogs and articles. I was considering getting Lavenders, but think I will avoid them altogether.
You really have to apply some critical thinking to things like this, otherwise you're going to have an extremely long list, as just about everyone has a story about a different breed having aggressive males.

I would surmise that lavenders might have a reputation because it's an extremely popular color right now. What happens when something is popular? LOTS of people start breeding for it, and usually it alone when it's a color. So yes, if you have a lot of people in your area that just picked up some birds and started breeding them, it's no surprise you'll have aggressive birds. Same can be said for large hatcheries, flock mating on a huge scale where the objective is a bird that lays well and is a certain color, and that's the only objective, is going to produce plenty of ill-tempered birds as well.

But, if you really want a lavender, do some legwork and find yourself a very good, experienced Orpington breeder who happens to have some lavender. Heck, post on the forum under the sales/looking whatever they call it subforum and ask who has well-tempered Orps first off, and lavender second.

If you really want the variety, you'll be ahead of the game if you put a little money towards having 6-12 chicks shipped this spring from someone who is doing it right :)

I raise my roosters the same way I raise my hens. My two roosters that were raised with a very hands-off approach (not raised by me) turned out aggressive. One of them I trained to stop, and now he doesn't even show aggression to small children. The other is extremely stubborn, so he gets a separate pen. Another rooster (that I found abandoned) is very bold to humans (follows people around, not afraid of me at all) and is completely non-aggressive, so just because he's friendly won't make him mean, in my opinion.
Here's a picture there of some of my rooster-only flock just hanging out together:
View attachment 1631853

How do you train a rooster not to be aggressive?

Currently I only have 2 roos, and they are exclusively indoors. They are mixed breed longtails (like Phoenix) so are a normally docile breed.[/QUOTE]

What do you do about poop? Do they wear...chicken diapers? Is that a thing? What about poultry safety? I mean...if you have an indoor bunny or ferret you have to ferret-proof or rabbit-proof the house. Is there that? Do indoor birds...peck electrical cords or something of that sort? :)

Back
Top Bottom