raising a short faced pigeon from hatch?

Baby is back under Wallace no issues and now I have time to wait till shift change to see if Soup takes to him. I do have a question though. Baby keeps managing to flip him self over in attempts to poop he rolls on his side and then to his back! I was afraid he'd regurgitate and choke originally but I've left him for awhile to return to him like that and we seem ok every time other than that it appears he has some sort of digestive delay until he's upright and then his crop will proceed to lower again as he sits upright. Anyone know if this squirmy bad balance is normal?? I'm afraid even if Wallace and Soup take him back I'm going to come home to a dead baby cause he'll have flipped himself over like a potato bug, and died of cold or starvation or who knows what!

Moment of Truth!
IMG_20191228_162630642.jpg

We have brooding! Let's hope she tries to feed him too!
Soup is a 2029 girl so I suspect he's her first clutch ever as she was a show bird before I took her. She makes a curious face at his squirming but I think she's got it down! Let's now pray for crop milk!!!!:fl:fl:fl

Attachments

• IMG_20191228_163140265.jpg
    IMG_20191228_163140265.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 6
We have brooding! Let's hope she tries to feed him too!
Soup is a 2029 girl so I suspect he's her first clutch ever as she was a show bird before I took her. She makes a curious face at his squirming but I think she's got it down! Let's now pray for crop milk!!!!:fl:fl:fl

Well that lasted a full 4 minutes, Wallace kicked her off and took her spot. Not sure he trusts her new parent skills
Just excited to watch/hear about these interesting behaviors. I really don't expect the exact same response from two different birds, they have personalities, imo.

Had to take the baby :( checked on him as he was being unusually quiet around feeding time and he look a bit off when I lifted Soup up. He's sitting and gasping for air all of a sudden! I didn't see any aggression or bad behavior but I fear maybe they stepped on him or fed him seeds by mistake(I know I saw Wallace spit up seeds when trying to feed the baby) or maybe over fed him as I fed him only to have Wallace attempt to feed him post being placed in nest. Put him in Bator but he's still gasping. Hoping they just over fed him rather than have him die on me from possibly being feed practically solid seeds.

Back
Top Bottom