Raising a variety of meat breeds

My Jersey Giants

I finally finished my meat coop and placed my meat birds in it. My three bigs will free range from now on and i will continue to pen my littles.
I left my layers in the brooder room. This gives them alot more space until they are big enough to put with my adults and free range.

I finally finished my meat coop and placed my meat birds in it. My three bigs will free range from now on and i will continue to pen my littles.
I left my layers in the brooder room. This gives them alot more space until they are big enough to put with my adults and free range.

Looks very similar to mine
1f44d.png

My slow grow Sasso broilers are coming up 3 weeks and will be going in very soon.

Just put some eggs from these in the Incy

They are Sasso medium grow broiler hens with a Ixworth rooster, Ixworth are an old rare UK Duel purpose breed which also lay very well.

Last edited:

Looks very similar to mine
1f44d.png

My slow grow Sasso broilers are coming up 3 weeks and will be going in very soon.

Just put some eggs from these in the Incy

They are Sasso medium grow broiler hens with a Ixworth rooster, Ixworth are an old rare UK Duel purpose breed which also lay very well.

I have not heard of Sasso before. They do look pretty.

I have not heard of Sasso before. They do look pretty.

This is another hen I kept back last year for breeding.
I guess there similar to your Red Rangers.
The roosters dressed out at 7.5lb at 14 weeks.

The eggs are shipped over from France, you can get slow, medium & fast grow birds, the fast being Cornish Cross, you can also get different colours in the slow & medium grow birds, but unless you are buying hundreds they are quite difficult to get hold of.

Last edited:
Yes I have tried Cornish Cross, I was not impressed. I am happier with my mediums right now, though one of my bigs is already walking a bit funny :/ I will soon know if this is also a problem with this breed or if I just kept them with my layers too long and they over ate.

I really wanted to keep a rooster from my medium grow broilers but they all had that wobbly walk
1f600.png
So they went to freezer camp.
That's why I'm also trying slow grow broilers this year in the hope to keep back a rooster for breeding.
Possibly to medium broilers.

Last edited:
I really wanted to keep a rooster from my medium grow broilers but they all had that wobbly walk
1f600.png
So they went to freezer camp.
That's why I'm also trying slow grow broilers this year in the hope to keep back a rooster for breeding.
Possibly to medium broilers.

Doing the same. I asked around and Jerseys got the best reviews as a gentle Rooster, I have toddlers, so that is the route I went. (My Barr Rock got mean with the 1 yr old) I do have 2 females I put with my layers to see if I can keep for breeders.

Back
Top Bottom