Raising a variety of meat breeds

Some of my Buff Plymouth Rocks
4 weeks and averaging 315g (a bit puny compared to my meatballs)
Not sure what they going to bring to my meat project, but I like buff birds.
I'm hoping they have a strong statue, but we will see.

That is a really great shot of them all. Almost like they posed for it. Fun fun!

Today was processing day. We processed 12 birds, two 18 week old Red Rangers (one died of heat)

and ten 12 week old Dixie Rainbow/Red Ranger birds.

Before processing my 18 week old birds weighed, 8.6 lbs and 6.9 lbs. My largest, fastest growing RR did not handle the extreem heat of the past weeks and died.
Before processing my 12 week old Red Rangers weighed an average of 4.8 lbs. My Rainbow Dixies weighed an average of 5.4 lbs.

Processed birds:

18 week old Red Ranger
I did not have a scale capable of weighing over 5 lbs. So the weights are not accurate, I can say for certain that both weighed over 5 lbs, estimated weight is 5.4 and 7 lbs.

12 week old Rainbow Dixies
Weigh an average of 3.9 after processing.

12 week old Red Rangers
Weighed an average of 3.4 lbs. after processing.

Both the Red Rangers and Rainbow Dixie birds seem very similar in weight and proportions. Both have yellow skin, both were easy to pluck (I only have the Cornish Cross to go by comparison, they seem very similar). The 18 week old birds definitely had a better sized breast. The 12 week old birds have good legs and thighs, but their breast were still small. I think the recommended 14-16 weeks for processing is probably best, and will try to target that next year.
As similar as the two breeds seem, next year I may just get the rainbow Dixie, only because they are prettier.

On a side note I kept 2 female. One is a Red Ranger, the other a Rainbow Dixie. The Red Ranger pullet is a healthy happy bird. The Rainbow Dixie has been bullied terribly. At first I thought she was simply over mated, but I watched one of my Jersey Giant Cockerels attack her and eat one of her feathers. I am unsure if there is something wrong with the pullet, or if she was lowest in the order. Or if I have a nasty JG that needs to go now. I seperated the pullet and am feeding her high protein. I will watch my JG and see if he continues to be a bully, choose another bird to attack.
The Rainbow Dixie are prettier birds but the Red Ranger seem more hardy.

I am thinking about waiting until fall. I know that they do not really put on weight until after a year. I figured we would process the JG once I had the fryers gone. I am tempted to allow at least one of the cockerels to grow to full size, giving me a huge bird to serve for next Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom