Raising an Orphaned Chick With Ducks?

Billiegoat6114

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2017
North East Kingdom, Vermont
Hi y'all!
My neighbor had a batch of chicks where all but one died. She can't bring herself to keep the surviving chick. I don't raise chickens, but I do raise waterfowl. I was wondering if it would be possible to integrate the chick into my small flock (5 small female ducks and one female goose)?
Many thanks,
-Billie
(This is also posted in the chickens thread)

It may work if you were brooding ducklings and chicks at the same time then they would be use to each other. If you take the chick you’ll have to brood it until it’s fully feathered then put out in a meet and greet pen so all can get use to each other maybe you could. Even pick up a few more chicks for friends I understand TSC is having chick days again

It may work if you were brooding ducklings and chicks at the same time then they would be use to each other. If you take the chick you’ll have to brood it until it’s fully feathered then put out in a meet and greet pen so all can get use to each other maybe you could. Even pick up a few more chicks for friends I understand TSC is having chick days again
Okay! Should I be worried about introducing the chicken to the ducks? I have in the past introduced new ducks and a new goose to my flock, do you think it would be much different?

Once the chicks are old enough to be outside full time if the are free range it should go fine as long as they have all met and have plenty of space. the chick isn’t going to bond with the ducks. It needs some chick friend. Then when time comes to move outside it will have some of its own to hang out with

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom