Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
love.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif

At what age would you feel comfortable letting ducklings have a pan of water to play in, without worrying about drowning or toweling them off? Mine are almost 3 weeks, and their fuzzy little selves seem impressively impermeable to water, so wondering if I could up their entertainment by allowing them a pan of water instead of just their water dish. Obviously not deep. :)

I put my ducks outside with a shallow dish of water (about 2-3 inches deep) at 3.5 weeks and they loved it so much I upped the anti and put out a container that is about 6 inches deep that all six can fit in at once and swim around in circles. I did put bricks outside so that they could step up and bricks around the edge inside so that they could get out without much effort. They love it and it is the first thing they head for when I let them out in the a.m. The weather here has been unpredictable but mostly in the 60-80 degree range in the daytime and in the 40-50 degree range at night so that helps keep them from getting chilled. I know that everything I have read on this and other sites say to wait until they are 4-7 weeks old so that they can preen their oil all over themselves. But these little ones seem to be having no issues with being water proof, they get a lot more exercise and seem happier for the use of the pool. I think, like so many things, it is use your judgement. What is your weather like? What is the interest of the ducks? Can they play safe and stay warm and dry as well?

Our weather is still crazy (Montana)...20-30s at night, 30s-40s during the day, sometimes higher. I'm not looking to let them play outside, really. Just wondering about a cakepan of water in their brooder, to give them something to do. They'll likely stay in their brooder for several weeks, simply because of weather, although when they're better feathered they might get some sporadic outside time. I'm awful glad our new chicks have a mama hen to figure out their warmth for them. :)

Our weather is still crazy (Montana)...20-30s at night, 30s-40s during the day, sometimes higher. I'm not looking to let them play outside, really. Just wondering about a cakepan of water in their brooder, to give them something to do. They'll likely stay in their brooder for several weeks, simply because of weather, although when they're better feathered they might get some sporadic outside time. I'm awful glad our new chicks have a mama hen to figure out their warmth for them. :)
It would be a big mess to clean up, but go ahead and put some water in a cake pan for them to play in as long as they can dry quickly and not chill, What I'd do though is let them have tub time daily that way less mess in the brooder and you don't have to worry about them chilling.

Back
Top Bottom