Raising and caring for ducklings

Just got our Khaki Campbells. Last year our ducklings lived in the bathroom of our old house with no one there. Just two of them. This year we got two Khaki Cambells and our hold house is inhabited so they can't go live there until they are outdoor age. Are ducklings always so flipping LOUD!? My chicks are so quiet I go check and make sure they are still alive. The ducks have not shut up once in an hour! They are plenty warm and have a place to get out of the heat, clean water, lots of food but PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP!!!!!
Terrified they are going to keep us up all night....

Just got our Khaki Campbells. Last year our ducklings lived in the bathroom of our old house with no one there. Just two of them. This year we got two Khaki Cambells and our hold house is inhabited so they can't go live there until they are outdoor age. Are ducklings always so flipping LOUD!? My chicks are so quiet I go check and make sure they are still alive. The ducks have not shut up once in an hour! They are plenty warm and have a place to get out of the heat, clean water, lots of food but PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP!!!!!
Terrified they are going to keep us up all night....

They do like to talk. My Khakis are always "quackling" especially in the morning just before I let them out. And the spokesduck likes to quack loudly periodically during the day. Love 'em to death!

Some are VERY talkative. Nothing that you can really do about it if they have everything they need. I think sometimes small numbers just aren't as happy as those that have a bunch of other ducklings around. Not that they are unhappy but maybe not as secure feeling. Try adding a small stuffed animal or two. Maybe more things to cuddle with will help.

I have a lone hatch muscovy that has taken up with my broody after its mom decided she didn't want to be a mom. Miss broody went out for a swim, leaving baby in the nest with her eggs. I went outside and heard baby peeping from 100 yards away.

Some are VERY talkative. Nothing that you can really do about it if they have everything they need. I think sometimes small numbers just aren't as happy as those that have a bunch of other ducklings around. Not that they are unhappy but maybe not as secure feeling. Try adding a small stuffed animal or two. Maybe more things to cuddle with will help.

I have a lone hatch muscovy that has taken up with my broody after its mom decided she didn't want to be a mom. Miss broody went out for a swim, leaving baby in the nest with her eggs. I went outside and heard baby peeping from 100 yards away.
My new duckies peep loudly for a while after holding them and leaving the area of the brooder.

My new duckies peep loudly for a while after holding them and leaving the area of the brooder.
Completely normal. I look at it as a good sign when brooding indoors. ;)
How do You all feel about wing clipping. I have a single mallard and a single chick. They both will.go outside eventually when its nice enough
Personally, I think it is up to the owner. You need to base your decision on how you will care for your ducks, meaning where they will be, predators around etc. I have always had my muscovy's wings clipped. But I was in the suburbs first and didn't want anyone flying around the neighborhood and then I got 3-4 month olds, after moving, and didn't want them to decide to find their last home. I have just made the decision, after posting on BYC, to not clip my 13 juveniles wings. At least not yet. They are just starting to get some lift but we have a number of predators here and they are able to free range all day so for them, escape could be important.

It is easy, not painful and not permanent.

Back
Top Bottom