Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
A watering station? Is that like watering nipples?

Litter pan with high sides and walk-in cutout, or bottom half of a large plastic dog crate, with dried sawdust pellets to absorb splash, and a flat-bottomed, straight-sided stewpot (difficult to turn over) for water. Keeps the rest of the bedding from getting water on it.

So I have been reading and researching and I get two different answers. One being we should not feel them chick/ chicken food or medicated food while the other says it's okay. What is the right answer?

Quote:
Thanks for the info & the pix! It make so much more sense when I can see it.
smile.png

So I have been reading and researching and I get two different answers. One being we should not feel them chick/ chicken food or medicated food while the other says it's okay. What is the right answer?

Chick/ chicken feed is okay but only non medicated and you will need to supplement with niacin in the form of Brewers yeast or water soluble niacin that is not time release.

Hi all,

I've been looking to buy some adult Khakis but if I can't find any the local feed store is getting hatchlings in on May 20th. I grew up on a farm and we raised all kinds of ducklings and chicks so I'm pretty sure I could still raise babies if I had to but my main concern is that now I work 12 hour shifts on weekends and it's hard to get anyone over to look after critters during the day. I have one hour when I get home to eat supper, shower and hit the sack if I'm going to get enough sleep.

Any thoughts on things I could do to make looking after babies easier in this situation? They're only young for a little while and I only want two, but I may not bother because I really don't want to take on babies and then not be able to care for them properly.

I'm still hoping to find some adults or at least juveniles but all comments appreciated.

Hi all,

I've been looking to buy some adult Khakis but if I can't find any the local feed store is getting hatchlings in on May 20th. I grew up on a farm and we raised all kinds of ducklings and chicks so I'm pretty sure I could still raise babies if I had to but my main concern is that now I work 12 hour shifts on weekends and it's hard to get anyone over to look after critters during the day. I have one hour when I get home to eat supper, shower and hit the sack if I'm going to get enough sleep.

Any thoughts on things I could do to make looking after babies easier in this situation? They're only young for a little while and I only want two, but I may not bother because I really don't want to take on babies and then not be able to care for them properly.

I'm still hoping to find some adults or at least juveniles but all comments appreciated.
You might be able to ask a retired, friendly old couple to take care of them for you for a little while..... I am 17 and I would do it for any of my neighbors!!!

Back
Top Bottom