Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
Hi everyone, has anyone's duckling ever just lay on his back for no reason? I found mine laying comfortabily on his back, not struggling. He's healthy. Maybe he was struggling earlier and I didn't see it. Thoughts??

I would keep a close eye on that one.  What is their feed?

They get a regular duck grower, from my local feed store. Now I'm switching them to Purina golden harvest duck grower. They get treats like lettuce, carrot peels and celery leaves (tiny amounts). They get vitamin water and ACV water

Well, worst case it could be some kind of infection, it could be the little one is deficient in some vitamin (often I feel it's B vitamins), I wonder if this is just a unique behavior....

There is a Youtube video of a duckling calmly lying on its back having its tummy vacuumed......

You could try sprinkling a tablespoon of brewer's yeast (brewer's, not baking or winemaking yeast) per cup of food and see how things go after about a week...

Well, worst case it could be some kind of infection, it could be the little one is deficient in some vitamin (often I feel it's B vitamins), I wonder if this is just a unique behavior....

There is a Youtube video of a duckling calmly lying on its back having its tummy vacuumed......

You could try sprinkling a tablespoon of brewer's yeast (brewer's, not baking or winemaking yeast) per cup of food and see how things go after about a week...

I hope it's not an infection, I have a feeling he may have a bit of temperature... He seems to be shivering sometimes and his body is hot. Yesterday he was hot and panting a little and that was easily fixed with cool drinking water. He's definitely the bigger one of the two so I think his body is growing too fast...
Oh and I was told that our feed in Ontario, Canada includes all the niacin's/brewers yeasts because nobody has ever added it to their feed, I've called every single feed store and several duck breeders.

Last edited:
I'd check the label to see if it tells you the naicin levels. Duck grower should have enough. It should be 55 mg. if the label doesn't say you could try contacting the manufacturer.

Your heat lamp looks pretty close in the picture. Are you measuring the temperate of the brooder to make sure it's not too hot? I think sometimes it take a little tweaking to get it right. I had trouble keeping my brooder from getting too hot at first.

One of my ducklings flipped over on its back once. She got real noisy. Has yours just done it the one time or is he doing it all the time?

I'd check the label to see if it tells you the naicin levels. Duck grower should have enough. It should be 55 mg. if the label doesn't say you could try contacting the manufacturer.

Your heat lamp looks pretty close in the picture. Are you measuring the temperate of the brooder to make sure it's not too hot? I think sometimes it take a little tweaking to get it right. I had trouble keeping my brooder from getting too hot at first.

One of my ducklings flipped over on its back once. She got real noisy. Has yours just done it the one time or is he doing it all the time?

I'm posting a photo of the feed label, even though it says it's for ducks from 29 days old (mine are just over 2 weeks) the feed store told me they use this feed interchangeable with the one I actually ordered (for newly hatched ducklings). No word of niacin, I'll contact Purina tomorrow.
The light had been downgraded to a 75watt, it's definitely not too hot, there's lots of room to get away from heat.
He's just flipped over once ever, so I'm not sure if it's his thing or he's not well. Eats and drinks great so far

Last edited:
Hey, I was wondering about having ducklings in brooders. At what age should I should move my ducklings from the brooder to the coop? The coop has a sheltered nesting area and is fenced, but does not have a netted roof.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom