Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
From what I have read, there have been times when certain medications in the feed hurt ducklings because they eat so much more than chicks. I have also read that amprolium is not such a danger to ducklings, but many people would rather not risk it.

So, I would find out exactly what the medication is and then look into what the recommendations are for that with ducklings.

You mentioned above that ducklings can sometimes have medicated feed. I have Purina Sunfresh Start & Grow Medicated, is that ok for ducklings? What makes medicated feed bad for them?
As Amiga said, the meds that used to be used in feed were dangerous for ducklings. The medication was toxic to ducks as it was made for chicks. These days, at least in the US, the medication in chick starter is okay for ducklings.

BUT, the medication in feed is used to treat coccidia. Ducklings and ducks will RARELY get coccidia unless kept in filthy conditions. Ducks have a higher body temp than chickens and therefore many bugs/viruses are killed. Many, myself included, feel that there is no reason to medicate without reason. Why bother medicating for something that is unlikely to be a problem.

I have had to feed medicated in a pinch when my local store had no unmedicated available. Luckliy, my local store is now ordering in alot of unmedicated starter (I used to have to call every week on Monday to order my feed for Friday) because since they are carrying it, others are buying it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! The only reason I`m asking about the medicated feed is because I sometimes keep my ducklings and chicks together for the first few weeks and I want the chicks to be able to have the medicated feed without hurting my ducklings. I`m am in the US, so does that mean the ducklings can have medicated? What exactly do I need to watch out for? I believe these are the ingredients:
Guaranteed Analysis
Protein, not less than 18.0%
Lysine, not less than 0.88%
Methionine, not less than 0.32%
Crude Fat, not less than 3.0%
Crude Fiber, not more than 5.0%
Calcium, not less than 0.75%
Calcium, not more than 1.25%
Phosphorus 0.6%
Salt, not less than 0.35%
Salt, not more than 0.85%
Vitamin A 5,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E 14 IU/lb​

Some people have said that if the medication is amprolium, not to worry. Some don't like any medicated feed. If you use chick starter, be sure to supplement extra niacin for the ducks. Extra niacin will not hurt chicks, from anything I have read. But some ducks are sensitive to low niacin in chick feed and can have nervous system and leg problems.

100 to 150 mg niacin per gallon of water, or a sprinkling of brewer's yeast daily on the food.

I need advice ASAP !!! The only deed I have available to me immediate is all livin things brand duck and goose blend ... The pieces looked so big so I put it in my magic bummer and made it powdery and put it in with my ducklings and added a little water to make it a little mushy.. It has whole corn, wheat and milo as ingredients on bag .... Is that enough ?? I don't want to make them vitamin or protein deficient !!! Please help !!!!

hello, you always seem to help me when I need it, so i hope youre online today! I ran out of the chick started feed and all I have is the (ALL LIVING T HINGS) Goose and duck blend which has smaller seeds and hard corn. I put it through the collander and took out the corn, but is that ok for the weekend? I am going away and i have a babysitter coming to feed and water them. I also sprinklt mealworms, koi food and some grit into the food as well....so if i continued that would it be ok?

hello, you always seem to help me when I need it, so i hope youre online today! I ran out of the chick started feed and all I have is the (ALL LIVING T HINGS) Goose and duck blend which has smaller seeds and hard corn. I put it through the collander and took out the corn, but is that ok for the weekend? I am going away and i have a babysitter coming to feed and water them. I also sprinklt mealworms, koi food and some grit into the food as well....so if i continued that would it be ok?
Hi, I just saw your post . . . what a week . . .

I think for a couple or few days, that blend (you said you have a Magic Bullet - a kind of blender, right? I would want the texture to be like crumbles) with a few mealworms and koi food also blended in (maybe 5 to 10 percent) ought to be okay especially if it is moistened. My longer answer is, not too much grit on top but definitely a little sprinkle - be sure the ducksitter knows, or just premix it yourself so there will be no question. While I am usually around my place, I am not always able to cut loose and check online, and this weekend is no different. I will as I can.

Again, be really clear with the sitter that ducklings need water all the time, food all the time, can get into trouble that you least expect, and so on. I am such a worrier! Oh, and to sniff the moistened food so there is no risk of moldiness.

Does the sitter have a BYC login i.d. so they can get help here, or have a way to get in touch with you?

Back
Top Bottom