Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
No doubt you are well protected from any coyotes. lol Is your Anatolian agressive toward people at all, or strange people? I have been wanting one but don't want a dog that will eat strangers.

We have had GPyr/Anatolian X and Great Pyrenees. I would say neither the X or the purebred are aggressive toward people to the point of eating strangers
smile.png
Allusive to strangers yes, but not biters. These dogs are bred to guard and protect, not attack. Their bark is their weapon. It says... "I'm over here, I'm BIG and you better get away from my zone." Both breeds are prone to food/food bowl aggression. I've worked with Pyrs through rescue and the one negative I've seen is if you don't start with them as puppies, they do tend to wander and roam. A lot of them end up in rescue because of this
sad.png

We have had GPyr/Anatolian X and Great Pyrenees.  I would say neither the X or the purebred are aggressive toward people to the point of eating strangers:)   Allusive to strangers yes, but not biters.  These dogs are bred to guard and protect, not attack.  Their bark is their weapon.  It says... "I'm over here, I'm BIG and you better get away from my zone."  Both breeds are prone to food/food bowl aggression.  I've worked with Pyrs through rescue and the one negative I've seen is if you don't start with them as puppies, they do tend to wander and roam.  A lot of them end up in rescue because of this:(  

Thanks for the information. I want a dog that will eat stray dogs (my #1 PITA) and other predators for lunch and warn but not attack strangers - unless they are doing something wrong. I don't ask for much huh? LOL

I start on that food agression (at least towards me) from the time they are babies. I feed them by hand, stand close close and mess with them while they eat, take their bowl away then give it back, stick my hand in their bowl, etc - anything I can think of. Sounds crazy but it has always worked over the past 40-something years and lots of dogs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I want a dog that will eat stray dogs (my #1 PITA) and other predators for lunch and warn but not attack strangers - unless they are doing something wrong. I don't ask for much huh? LOL

I start on that food agression (at least towards me) from the time they are babies. I feed them by hand, stand close close and mess with them while they eat, take their bowl away then give it back, stick my hand in their bowl, etc - anything I can think of. Sounds crazy but it has always worked over the past 40-something years and lots of dogs.

Nope, not asking for much at all, lol. Let me know when you find one:) WOW, our food/bowl aggression has never been towards us, just between the dogs. I should have been more clear... IF they get inside the 'zone' it's on like Donkey Kong
big_smile.png

Nope, not asking for much at all, lol.  Let me know when you find one:)  WOW, our food/bowl aggression has never been towards us, just between the dogs.  I should have been more clear... IF they get inside the 'zone' it's on like Donkey Kong:D

I hear ya! lol It is much harder to deal with the agression between dogs. You've really got to be "Charles in Charge" sometimes. LOL I had 3-4 Dobermans at one time and they want to guard a dang empty bowl! What's their's is their's in their mind - doghouse, bowl, owner. lol Of all I have had though, only two were kind of bad and they were siblings- bad bloodline. The rest were big babies. Come to think of it, those two were the only ones that were agressive at all, including over their feed bowl.

I'll shut up... this thread is about DUCKS! :)

Can anyone please tell me the breed or approximate age of these ducklings? They're my new babies and I got them yesterday from a friend who was allergic to them ! I also have a male and female duck ( 6 months old) that live outside ( the little ones will live inside until their feathers come in)
Can I introduce them? Will the big ones try to hurt the babies ??
Thanks for your help !!!

Yesterday they were ore black/ yellow, today they seem more brownish...is that possible ?

Can anyone please tell me the breed or approximate age of these ducklings? They're my new babies and I got them yesterday from a friend who was allergic to them ! I also have a male and female duck ( 6 months old) that live outside ( the little ones will live inside until their feathers come in)
Can I introduce them? Will the big ones try to hurt the babies ??
Thanks for your help !!!

Yesterday they were ore black/ yellow, today they seem more brownish...is that possible ?
They lo ok like me old Campbells. They are under 3 weeks for sure. Yes the older ducks will prob hurt them.

Any other thoughts???

Back
Top Bottom