Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics

It finally happened!!!!!!!!

So, as much as I don't want to, I have to find little Nugget a new home..do any of you guys live close to central Illinois that would give him a good home? I don't want to give him to just anyone ya know? And I figured on here would be the best..any suggestions are welcome.

Wish you were closer to me. GRR I would take him.. OHIO

So, as much as I don't want to, I have to find little Nugget a new home..do any of you guys live close to central Illinois that would give him a good home? I don't want to give him to just anyone ya know? And I figured on here would be the best..any suggestions are welcome.

Did you look in the where am I/where are you thread? I bet there is a thread for your state. Sorry nugget has to go, but you did a great job careing for him/her. I'm in Northern California, so I'm no help :(

Hello -

I've had my ducklings for two days and they are about a week or so old. I got 8 ducklings with their broody hen (a silkie). They are absolutely terrified of us and I'm wondering if I should separate from the mother hen so that they attach to us? Some will stay with us as pets and the others are also going to homes as pets. I don't want to be mean to them or the mother hen, but she doesn't know us and came from a farm, so she is understandably wary and seems to be passing the fear on to the ducks. The hen will also be staying with us and joining our other 5 chickens. Any advice on how to handle this? We have been handling them a bit, but don't want to stress them all out!

Thanks,
TGE

I am no expert on this but I had six ducklings from less than a full 24 hours old and they always acted like I was the monster their mother had warned them about. Even though I held them each several times a day each time I came near the brooder they would all run in panic to the farthest corner. They are now about 3 months old and they still act a little afraid of me even though they now see me as the bringer of food and water and the one who lets them out to forage. I suspect that, in my case, they had each other to depend on and, unlike a lone duckling that only has its human, that was what they needed in order to be great little ducks. Yours have not only each other but a "mother" to look to for protection. While I would not move them apart from the hen or each other that is just me. My ducks are pets but not pets in the same way a dog or a cat is a pet. Remember, these are waterfowl and, even though referred to as domesticated, they are birds. Very few birds of any sort will pair with a human if there is another bird around to bond with. Just my opinion and again, I am no expert.

If there was any way she/he might survive the trip I would be very tempted to come get her and bring her here to West Texas. But, being reasonable, that is out of the question. I don't know about where you are but about 50 miles from me is Abilene, TX and they have a zoo. Most of the domestic waterfowl and chickens they have are birds that were surrendered by "back yard farmers" in the area. I don't know if that is an option for you or not but you might check for a more local bird rescue group. Good luck to you and Nugget. You have her a second chance that she otherwise would never have had.

Back
Top Bottom