Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
WELL THEY DID IT. GRRRRR my momma duck has been sitting on four eggs, three hatched out, she waiting for this last one, meanwhile two of the babies decide they are going to go exploring. YEP, the roosters got one of them, beat him up pretty bad, GRRRRRR

Now I will take that last slow poking egg and hatch it out for her and put her and her remaining two kids in a safe place AWAY from those darn chickens. Guess I just can't raise Ducks and Chickens together!!!!!

S
Thanks, I did find Nugget a home..he goes there on Friday. Its local and a friend of mine, so I'll be able to go see him. He's going to have his own pen and small pool until he's grown. Then he has his own pond! But thank you all for all the advice you've given me within the past 2 weeks. I'll post pics as Nuget gets older!

So glad nugget found a good home!

Thanks for the advice. My plan of attack has shifted and I am working on getting the silkie on my side. Yesterday I put the ducks in the tub for their first swim and gave the silkie and good soapy scrub and blow dry. She was so relaxed during the blow dry she fell over! Today again the ducks came in for a swim and mama hen got a blow dry as it is rainy here and she can't keep the ducks in the coop and out of the rain! Silkies are not particularly water proof so she looked pretty miserable. This seems to be working and she has calmed down a lot with me. I'm ensuring the ducks see me handling her often and hoping they soon see there is nothing to fear. Fingers crossed!

WELL THEY DID IT. GRRRRR my momma duck has been sitting on four eggs, three hatched out, she waiting for this last one, meanwhile two of the babies decide they are going to go exploring. YEP, the roosters got one of them, beat him up pretty bad, GRRRRRR

Now I will take that last slow poking egg and hatch it out for her and put her and her remaining two kids in a safe place AWAY from those darn chickens. Guess I just can't raise Ducks and Chickens together!!!!!
I'm sorry is the lil one going to make it?

Thanks, I did find Nugget a home..he goes there on Friday. Its local and a friend of mine, so I'll be able to go see him. He's going to have his own pen and small pool until he's grown. Then he has his own pond! But thank you all for all the advice you've given me within the past 2 weeks. I'll post pics as Nuget gets older!
Yay for Nugget that's awesome. will he ever have a friend though?

Good luck.

-Kathy
X2
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom