Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
I have a question.At what age do you guys let your ducklings start swimming?I'm talking about short , supervised trips , not at what age they can start swimming freely.

We put are ducklings in a warm tub where they could touch the bottom at around four days old, a few days later we had the water deep enough where they could swim, we just put something in the water they could stand on if they got tired and pulled them out and toweled them dry and put under a heat lamp right away when they were done. They really enjoyed it, especially when we put some grass in the water. We enjoyed sitting and watching them too
1f60a.png
. One of are ducklings got cold a lot easier, so didn't stay in as long, so we would hold him in the towel until he was warm but keep him by the bath so he wasn't alone and sad under the heat lamp.

Last edited:
We put are ducklings in a warm tub where they could touch the bottom at around four days old, a few days later we had the water deep enough where they could swim, we just put something in the water they could stand on if they got tired and pulled them out and toweled them dry and put under a heat lamp right away when they were done. They really enjoyed it, especially when we put some grass in the water. We enjoyed sitting and watching them too
1f60a.png
. One of are ducklings got cold a lot easier, so didn't stay in as long, so we would hold him in the towel until he was warm but keep him by the bath so he wasn't alone and sad under the heat lamp.

Thanks!
I was thinking they could start swimming in warm water pretty soon after they hatch , plus they would be swimming outside in the Florida heat of May......so chilling isn't a major concern ;)

I have a question.At what age do you guys let your ducklings start swimming?I'm talking about short , supervised trips , not at what age they can start swimming freely.

Mine were about a week old, in warm water, for about 5 minutes. Then pop them right back into the brooder so they can warm up and dry off. Dry them off if they're soaked... mine never really got soaked, so I didn't need to.

Mine were about a week old, in warm water, for about 5 minutes. Then pop them right back into the brooder so they can warm up and dry off. Dry them off if they're soaked... mine never really got soaked, so I didn't need to.
agree, it usually takes that long for them to build up there own oils, if they were incubated..

There was controversy about this on-line. I heard to not let them out until 3 weeks, and I heard you can let them out right away. I put mine in a small rubber bowl from Tractor Supply when they were 3 days old. They did the bowl for two days. Then I put them in a bigger rubber bowl for one week. Then we made trips to the bathtub. (My husband hated this) They did the bathtub twice a day until they got their feathers. All swimming lessons were supervised. First lesson lasted five minutes. I increased until they were doing the bathtub for 30 minutes. I always kept the water warm.

Today my khaki campbells went out for the first time. My mallard became crazy so I stayed outside and watched. He was so excited that I thought he would hurt them. By lunchtime, he was herding them around and guarding them. They are bathing in the sun right now outside my bedroom window. Please Lord let him show them how to go back to their coop tonight.

I have a different question. My 8-day-old ducklings are staying away from their heat lamp. They are in a run in my kitchen (until its warm enough to take it outside). The run is 2' x 6'. I have the heat lamp on one end, but they seem to stay on the other end the majority of the time, which is room temperature - 70ish degrees. They seem comfortable. I can leave the heat lamp on, but is there really a reason to do so? I know that end isn't too hot because the lamp is 3' off the floor. Its maybe 80-85 directly in the heat path. I know the lamp will be necessary after swims, of course.
Thoughts? Opinions?

My duckling stoped using there heated area early too ( brooder in my spare room).... So I turned it off. They are about three weeks old now, I just kept I close watch and gaged how they where. I've even started opening the window a crack during the day keeping the room a bit under 70, they seem happy in these temps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom