Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
Thanks Amiga! I may be able to spring for the ceramic bulb, I think I already have an old heat lamp somewhere from some frogs I kept.

I'll take lots of pics to share my journey, but I was planning on putting the food and water on the screen platforms to hopefully cut down on wet, but I will be home and around almost 24/7 and I've found an app where I can use an old iPhone as a nanny! Woot!

Great!

My eggs are 8 days late. I had to go out of town after lockdown and had someone to check on them 3x a day None hatched. This is my first attempt. I'm sure they're dead in the shell now. I candles on day 24 and all but one looked viable. I still have 9 eggs that should hatch on the 10th. I'm looking for any advice bc at this point, especially since I wasn't here. I have no idea what happened. Thank you all.... Again!!!

Delayed hatches happen, sometimes even very late ones. I've had chicks hatch 4-5 days late, under broody hens! Have you candled the eggs to check for signs of life? Do and if it looks like someone's home, draw a line on the shell, marking the air cell. Use a sharp object (I use a pin) to score an X on the shell, above the air cell line, until you break through, then use a pair of tweezers to make the hole big enough for you to see into. Give the egg a nose check and if you don't pass out from the smell, use a wet q-tip to rub the membrane covering the duckling, check for movement or signs of life. If there is a live duckling in there, put it back in the incubator and crank up the humidity to 65% or more.

Good luck and keep up posted!

My eggs are 8 days late. I had to go out of town after lockdown and had someone to check on them 3x a day None hatched. This is my first attempt. I'm sure they're dead in the shell now. I candles on day 24 and all but one looked viable. I still have 9 eggs that should hatch on the 10th. I'm looking for any advice bc at this point, especially since I wasn't here. I have no idea what happened. Thank you all.... Again!!!
8 days late???

Back
Top Bottom