Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics

I know it is a bad picture, but I got some Rouen ducklings at a hatchery and one of them has a orange/red bump thing on its stomach. is it the yolk that didn't get all the way absorbed? Should i take it off, or will it fall off? Any information is greatly appreciated!!! (that little red dot in the center of the picture)

Very hard to see for sure in the pic (any possibility of getting a clearer shot?), but I think it's just the umbilicus (basically, their belly-button area) that is still a little big. You could clean it a couple times a day with something like betadyne or chlorhexadine if it looks like it's an open scab or possibly infected. Most of the time though, they will shrink and heal up on their own in a couple of days. Definitely don't try to take it off yourself, just keep the area clean and it should heal up and shrink away. :)

Very hard to see for sure in the pic (any possibility of getting a clearer shot?), but I think it's just the umbilicus (basically, their belly-button area) that is still a little big. You could clean it a couple times a day with something like betadyne or chlorhexadine if it looks like it's an open scab or possibly infected. Most of the time though, they will shrink and heal up on their own in a couple of days. Definitely don't try to take it off yourself, just keep the area clean and it should heal up and shrink away. :)
thanks!!!!! I dont think I can get a clear shot with a squirming duckling in my hand!!!
barnie.gif

You asked about the pen. Its a pen inside a fenced in yard. We have a box for sleeping w hay but they have not used it. Water, feed and a small pool. Only one so far has attempted to get in the water. I think they are about 6 wks old. Why do you need to remove the water and feed at nite when they get a little older? Doesn't seem like they eat or drink during the nite anyway. I am up at all hrs and check on them. They are always laying together and sleeping.

You asked about the pen. Its a pen inside a fenced in yard. We have a box for sleeping w hay but they have not used it. Water, feed and a small pool. Only one so far has attempted to get in the water. I think they are about 6 wks old. Why do you need to remove the water and feed at nite when they get a little older? Doesn't seem like they eat or drink during the nite anyway. I am up at all hrs and check on them. They are always laying together and sleeping.

As far as I know, the only reason to remove water and food at night is to avoid messes. But I have a watering station that solves that problem, so my ducks have water with food 24/7.

I have been feeding FF since 2012 I start them out on it as soon as they are eating.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/no-strain-hot-water-easy-fermented-feed-method-w-video

Sorry to keep pulling this up but...
I'll be sprinkling Brewers yeast on the feed for niacin. I assume it's in the same ratio (1 tbsp per cup of FF) and that I add it just before giving them the FF but I just wanted to double check. Is that correct? And should I stir it in to the feed or just let it set on top?

I'll be sprinkling Brewers yeast on the feed for niacin. I assume it's in the same ratio (1 tbsp per cup of FF) and that I add it just before giving them the FF but I just wanted to double check. Is that correct? And should I stir it in to the feed or just let it set on top?
Same ratio with ff as with dry feed

Is it flush free or No flush??

Back
Top Bottom