Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
Alright, y'all, I need some advice. I've got a lady who will buy all of Skipper's barnyard mix babies for $3 each. Thursday.
So here's my dilemma.
1. She was a terrible mamma the first time around (abandoned the chicks at about 3 weeks old.)
2. Who knows how she will be this time...
3. She will only have been a mamma for 5 days with these... too soon?
4. I have a lot of birds right now,and really don't need more!
Advice? Comments? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Yes, large pine shavings but they're like bigger than an inch or two. So, they're large enough to not eat. They've always got clean water and food. The brooder is open on one end and the other end has the light. Plenty of space. What else can I be doing? I've lost hundreds in the last few months just buying chicks and eggs to try and have some survive....
Could it be the feed you are using? Maybe there is an issue? I know it is costly but did you try throwing your current feed away and getting new feed?

Alright, y'all, I need some advice. I've got a lady who will buy all of Skipper's barnyard mix babies for $3 each. Thursday.
So here's my dilemma.
1. She was a terrible mamma the first time around (abandoned the chicks at about 3 weeks old.)

The babies are ADORABLE!!! But, I agree, sell them. Once they leave my property, I no longer feel responsible.

So here's my dilemma.

Half of me agrees with SELL!! But the other half knows that taking chicks away from a broody is not easy. I did it with my first broody this year, and she went broody again much quicker afterwards. (not to mention I felt soooo mean!) I have since sold some out from under a broody, but not all. Can you keep a couple for her to raise? Or have any chicks that you want to keep that you can give to her?

Half of me agrees with SELL!! But the other half knows that taking chicks away from a broody is not easy. I did it with my first broody this year, and she went broody again much quicker afterwards. (not to mention I felt soooo mean!) I have since sold some out from under a broody, but not all. Can you keep a couple for her to raise? Or have any chicks that you want to keep that you can give to her?
Maybe I can convince this lady to buy mamma too... she drives us crazy. :)
I think keeping a couple might be a good idea too... just not certain she will raise them.

Yes, large pine shavings but they're like bigger than an inch or two. So, they're large enough to not eat. They've always got clean water and food. The brooder is open on one end and the other end has the light. Plenty of space. What else can I be doing? I've lost hundreds in the last few months just buying chicks and eggs to try and have some survive....
Yeah, the only thing I can think of is some toxicity in your environment. Little birds are more sensitive to fumes from cleaners or ? than bigger pets. Do you have a friend who would consider brooding for you?

Folks,

Today was final Candle and Lock Down day for my last hatch of the season. Guess I've got one egg that doesn't need to be candled... :woot
IMG_0623.JPG

And the babies are growing up... :hit
IMG_0621.JPG

I'll try to get pix of the other hatches tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom