Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
Actually, I've learned to love broodies! They raise the babies, no integration problems, they handle it lol!

The other thing, is the really bitchy ones have become my friends. I had one that about bit my hand off at first, had to wrap my hand in a rag to take eggs from her when she started sitting. Now she is the first to run to me when i go in the pen. She finally learned to trust me!

So if you have a mean one, they can hurt you a little, but if you protect yourself the first few times, it'll be ok! Just pet them. Talk to them. Let them know you can help and aren't going to hurt them. I handle chicks too, even if they don't like it at first, they get over it. :)

Thank goodness my Fiona is not mean at all...even if I get her up from the nest to move and eat ECT! It's her sister Sydney that just can't handle her broodiness...LOL! I'm the nest...no issues at all...but when Fiona is our out and clucky...Sydney does not like the house and fuss! I think she is used to being alerted by clicking so it's making her feel something is wrong?

I will be HAPPY when they are broody and i can give her eggs!!!! Asking TOO much...i know:rolleyes: lol!

The "refrigerated/12 hours in a hot car" eggs go into lockdown tomorrow! The eggs are looking very full of little chick!
IMG_20170913_190025.jpg

North Texas Wink asked me to tell everyone hello. She has just been very busy.
One of my chicks flew out of the pen yesterday! Man, they are growing up!
I have a half dozen brats. They've figured out how to escape their shelter:mad: and I haven't figured out how they are doing it:confused: Every morning at daybreak I'm walking around the deck and low and behold they are out in my lower pasture...:eek: They belong in the upper pasture.:he:oops: Brats:mad:

North Texas Wink asked me to tell everyone hello. She has just been very busy.
One of my chicks flew out of the pen yesterday! Man, they are growing up!

Great! Hope you passed along our well wishes. Glad she is doing ok!

I have a half dozen brats. They've figured out how to escape their shelter:mad: and I haven't figured out how they are doing it:confused: Every morning at daybreak I'm walking around the deck and low and behold they are out in my lower pasture...:eek: They belong in the upper pasture.:he:oops: Brats:mad:

Sneaky little brats, ain't they! Lol

Mine are in half of the new coop but i have it divided off with a piece of plywood. So they can't get out of the coop, but that one polish chick made her escape into the side with no shavings.
Today i started putting cedar siding on the coop, and i love the look! 20170914_182104.jpg

Mine are in half of the new coop but i have it divided off with a piece of plywood. So they can't get out of the coop, but that one polish chick made her escape into the side with no shavings.
Today i started putting cedar siding on the coop, and i love the look! View attachment 1136499

Oooh i like that!

@CapricornFarm , I still think we all need to descend upon each other's farm s for a "coop building" weekend every now and then. You are doing such awesome work! Love it!!
The little mixed chicks are hatching, and look what popped out of a Bielefelder egg!!
Probably a cross w our splash Silverudd's Blue.
IMG_20170916_101015_kindlephoto-56183473.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom