Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
Okay, here's my very best farm store guess as to the breeds you have (I loved researching them as I acquired them...it probably should have been the other way around...research, then acquire - but hey, I was just happy to have some littles! :) )
I think your black one is a Barred Rock, your red-ish chipmunk stripes are probably Rhode Island Reds, your downy yellow is probably a white Leghorn, and then you might have some Golden Sex Links in there too (sometimes called Red Stars, Golden Comets, etc)
Anyone else want to weigh in?
I'm thinking 1-1/2 to 2 weeks old.

Wow, thanks for telling me, I'm going to research these breeds asap. :D

I LOVE when all you see are fluffy butts:love CONGRATS!!!

Me too, they are so cute! :ya

oh and i have 2 broodies sitting at home, due next Monday/Tuesday. One serama and one bantam cochin.
And 2 chocolate Orpingtons sitting on nothing!
Every single one of my silly young BCM pullets (6 months old) are broody. I keep pulling them off the nests, and giving them little baths and hoping they will go out and range a little. Nope. Every night, I pull them off again and put them on roosts. Gah!! :he I think I am about done with that breed. Seriously. Naughty roosters (without exception... even the little guy I was holding out hope for is starting to confront me over stupid stuff) and crazy-eyed broody hens who don't even lay eggs big enough to consider hatching!! No bueno.

The fourth chick died while trying to hatch. Three happy, healthy little peepers this morning, though.

I moved mom and babies down to the bottom level of the coop and gave them food and water. My SS pullet tried to pull the little yellow chick out from under Hootie, who just watched her do it, so I used baby gates to make a partition to protect the little ones. Hopefully Hootie will become more protective once the babies are moving around more and she snaps out of her broody trance. She normally rules the coop with an iron fist.

IMG_3526.JPG

The fourth chick died while trying to hatch. Three happy, healthy little peepers this morning, though.

I moved mom and babies down to the bottom level of the coop and gave them food and water. My SS pullet tried to pull the little yellow chick out from under Hootie, who just watched her do it, so I used baby gates to make a partition to protect the little ones. Hopefully Hootie will become more protective once the babies are moving around more and she snaps out of her broody trance. She normally rules the coop with an iron fist.

View attachment 1075048
Good call on moving and protecting them till mamma "wakes up". That's exactly the expression I was looking for when my broodies were hatching... "Wake up Mamma! You have some babies!!"

My broody momma likes to give us the stink eye when we try to peek at the babies. These are in a small cage in between 2 of the other runs. This is inside, only because it's been SO HOT. This concrete floor is the coolest place for them.

View attachment 1075246
Yes, indeed - mama's not a very happy camper there!! :) Her babies are totally cute! Do you know what breeds/mixes they are? It's so fun in one clutch to have a little Blondie, and a little black one too! I have a broody under the barn and I cannot get her out... so we shall see what her offspring look like...(I also have no idea when she started setting, and when they're due. We can't reach the eggs to candle. Project for when she's done? Seal up that hole under there, so no other chickens get the same idea!!

Good call on moving and protecting them till mamma "wakes up". That's exactly the expression I was looking for when my broodies were hatching... "Wake up Mamma! You have some babies!!"

By this afternoon, Hootie was pacing behind the barrier, wanting to be back with the flock. Minnie, the pullet who attacked the yellow chick this morning, is now napping with Hootie and the babies as if she wants to co-parent. Chicken logic...:confused:

All doubts about Hootie's protective instincts are gone, though. My 4.5 week old Australorp made the mistake of wandering into the main coop, and Hootie lit into her like she was exorcising a demon! :eek: The older chick quickly retreated to her "panic room". Apparently the whole coop is going to be in total chaos around here for a while. At least it's not dull!

Back
Top Bottom