Raising Baby Chick-Along

The sad thing about the vaulted heads on some silkies - They are much more susceptible to brain damage. I have a beautiful blue silkie that got pecked pretty hard by someone in the pen. When we found her, her head was bloody. She couldn't walk straight, she was stumbling around in circles. We isolated her for about a month. For the first week or so, we had to keep the food and water RIGHT next to her. 2nd week, she started walking around the cage, and would get up to eat. She continued to improve. Now I have her in with my youngest babies (3 month olds). After 2 weeks, we still have to take her out and put her back in to the coop. She can NOT navigate the ladder. She stays away from everyone else. She will be standing there, then suddenly tip over. You can tell, she just isn't right. Poor baby.....

I'm in LOVE!!!:love

Heehee, thanks! I look at them and smile every time. They really are some of the cutest chicks in my yard.

All but one of the Polish went back in the coop on their own at dusk when i opened the pop door! Good babies!

:clap awesome
What all breeds do you have now?

The sad thing about the vaulted heads on some silkies - They are much more susceptible to brain damage. I have a beautiful blue silkie that got pecked pretty hard by someone in the pen. When we found her, her head was bloody. She couldn't walk straight, she was stumbling around in circles. We isolated her for about a month. For the first week or so, we had to keep the food and water RIGHT next to her. 2nd week, she started walking around the cage, and would get up to eat. She continued to improve. Now I have her in with my youngest babies (3 month olds). After 2 weeks, we still have to take her out and put her back in to the coop. She can NOT navigate the ladder. She stays away from everyone else. She will be standing there, then suddenly tip over. You can tell, she just isn't right. Poor baby.....

That really is sad. :hugs
And silkies aren't the brightest to begin with.

Poor thing!! I wonder if she will make slow, steady improvements, or if this is just who she will be from now on? I always have the farmer vs. pet owner dispute with myself when something like this happens. I know a farmer probably wouldn't keep a bird with issues, but I find I can't just cull in a snap judgment. I always hope for full recovery, even when things look really bad. My husband shakes his head at me. Okay, okay, I'm not a very good farm girl.

Two 4×4×4

Going to male a few more on the farm pasture. Heading into chicken Mania
:weeglad I got you guys to answer all the questions and remind me I am not crazy, just love my fluffy habit. Farming is fun.:woot
I think the most important question, as one multiplies birds, is whether they all have enough space, enough food, and whether they appear happy. When I started to add birds to my flock, I spent a lot of time analyzing the conditions in which they lived, as well as their behaviors. As long as things were manageable for me, and they were good, I didn't worry too much about numbers. :)

Back
Top Bottom