Raising Baby Chick-Along

Poor thing!! I wonder if she will make slow, steady improvements, or if this is just who she will be from now on? I always have the farmer vs. pet owner dispute with myself when something like this happens. I know a farmer probably wouldn't keep a bird with issues, but I find I can't just cull in a snap judgment. I always hope for full recovery, even when things look really bad. My husband shakes his head at me. Okay, okay, I'm not a very good farm girl.
I'm kind of in the middle. As long as they are not in pain and able to function (eat and drink) I'll give them time--but each time I setup the processing station, I'll reevaluate where they are and at that point it becomes a quality of life decision.

One more week!! Things are getting exciting around here! I separated all of my roosters from the general population (they have two very spacious bachelor pads), and after some fertility checks (in other words, hoping none of the eggs are fertile), I will set up my breeding pens for fall/winter. I know it seems like an odd time to do chicks, but it doesn't get terribly cold here and it's the only time of year there's no farm store competition. I'm just hoping everyone stays healthy and out of the grips of some predator between now and then! :)

I think the most important question, as one multiplies birds, is whether they all have enough space, enough food, and whether they appear happy. When I started to add birds to my flock, I spent a lot of time analyzing the conditions in which they lived, as well as their behaviors. As long as things were manageable for me, and they were good, I didn't worry too much about numbers. :)
I hear you on that. I have an open coop w a run all ready for them when they come out of the brooder. Its good for 8 not 16. I have been in non stop contruction mode since we moved in.

Poor thing!! I wonder if she will make slow, steady improvements, or if this is just who she will be from now on? I always have the farmer vs. pet owner dispute with myself when something like this happens. I know a farmer probably wouldn't keep a bird with issues, but I find I can't just cull in a snap judgment. I always hope for full recovery, even when things look really bad. My husband shakes his head at me. Okay, okay, I'm not a very good farm girl.

Thanks!! She seems to be making steady improvement. I just wish she had other silkies to hang out with in there. I have a smooth frilkie that has to be the slowest bird I have....she seems to sit in one corner all day - only getting up to eat or drink. She does go in and out of the coop, but she doesn't seem too bright. I'm keeping an eye on her because she gets bullied. She is in the same pen as the blue. But they avoid each other.

I'm kind of in the middle. As long as they are not in pain and able to function (eat and drink) I'll give them time--but each time I setup the processing station, I'll reevaluate where they are and at that point it becomes a quality of life decision.

I give away the roos, or I hire someone to cull them for me. Silkies - i can't eat . The black skin freaks me out, and I think they taste weird. I no longer actually cull myself. But, this girl seems to be eating and drinking normally, she just is off balance.

I have a BIG Wyandotte that has a foot that was curled under, and I used about 50 boots on her, and never got her foot to stay the right way. I thought about culling her, but she does fine. She lays as many eggs as the others. Only issue is she can't roost on a pole. She sleeps in a nesting box. She is almost 2 years old and still going strong. So, I won't cull if they are living normally, without pain.

:goodpost: I don't think the construction ever ends:thNow that my shelters on pasture are sufficient for current number of birds, I need to build two more greenhouses for winter, then in spring I'll need more pasture shelters:oops:

A green house. Yup thats next year or the year after. I have a farm pasture w this steap slope leading down to it. I want to dig into the slope and use the slope for one wall. Like half in the ground, half reg green house.

We went off into the woods today to look for a build site for the new coop. Now we need to make a trail big enough for the Mule so i can haul the supplies in there. We also worked on clearing out an area in front of the goat shed site so i can plant the 10 holly bushes DH bought. Lots of brush and dead wood, bonfires scheduled tomorrow if i can get wet wood to burn!

Hi Everyone! Been off BYC for a few weeks ..life got busy! Cap..i am so jealous of your farm!! We live in the mountains with a good amount of land, but it needs a lot of leveling to be usable! I want to build a goat barn for 2 pygmy goats! I can see us moving to a place with more level land area in the future! I want a farm!!! Not a huge one...just large enough fi8r 2 of everything...lol! So I love hearing about all the work you are doing!
My little bantam Cochin Fiona is STILL BROODY :barnie:he she is finally starting to get up and move around without us prompting her...so hopefully we are getting to the end of this! It is cooling off quickly here.. 30s at night... 40s day so I was thinking the cooler weather would snap her out of it!!! Her sister Sydney misses her company!!!

Back
Top Bottom