Raising broilers - failed to restrict feed, what now?

Skcup

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
I'm raising 21 broilers for the first time...have raised other birds for meat, but not specifically a broiler variety.

I didn't realize you were supposed to restrict feed after the first 2 days, I thought it was 2 weeks. Went to look it up tonight (they are about 14 days old) and realized my mistake.

Am I likely to see a lot of casualties? I feel awful. I will be restricting their feed from here on in, of course but I'm wondering how much damage I've likely done and what I should look for, expect.

Cut them back now, by removing the food at night and you should be good. My feeder stays out all night but it is dark and they do not go out of the coop to get to the feeder, which they have fee access to. I have raised them twice now only 6 at a time.. and have ended up with one each time that I have had to put in the freezer early due to a leg problem. I will also say I am no expert at them, maybe someone else will add to it.

They eat like pigs 24/7 if food is down which can lead to legs problems and ascities or fluid in the body cavity. Most recommend a high protein food and feed during the day to prevent these problems. There are some link on here to read up further.

Back
Top Bottom