1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising Catfish in a barrel!! 11-03-2011 UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gmendoza, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I knew an older farmer gentleman who kept catfish in an old bathtub. It was set up by a natural spring so that the catfish had a constant supply of fresh water via some pipes. He would catch fingerlings with a net and then put 5 in and grow them out feeding them on scraps.

2. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:What kind of catfish?
    Edited OK when in doubt read again before posting.

40 (6-8") channel catfish

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  3. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:Very Cool. I have 18 chickens,two ducks two guineas and 7 quail. We grow mealworms and redwoyms, use the chicken poop along with the pine bedding as worm bedding for the redwoyms,then use the dirt for planting,or put it in our tumbler for our garden compost. We have our own greenhouse made from old storm windows, and our coop is made from 100% recycled materials. Most of it is pine pallets. The heater for our greenhouse is a solar pop can heater, and we are going into barrel-ponics in the spring when I make a shed out of pallets.

Welcome to micro-farming!!

4. AMBene

AMBene Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Slidell
    Have been researching mealworms for the chickens, my dad is making us a solar pop heater for the in the works green house to be made from reclaimed PVC pipe. This is our first year to get going so we are taking it one small step at a time. But we are really enjoying the process!

5. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Cool ! I'll watch this thread ! Good luck !

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Can you provide links as to where you researched this project?

7. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Exactly !!!! you will have transfer them very soon after you get them. plus there won't be any space for them to rest on the bottom and that's what they like. perhaps you should rethink your plan.

AL

the UofA says 5 to 9 per square foot of water... i don't like to have them that crowded but they do...

Read again, that is probably 5-9 per square foot of Water SURFACE to ensure adequate oxygen exchange. With the density you are proposing the fish will need a lot of air and of equal importance a lot of water flowing through the barrel to flush waste and uneaten food.
    Get a test kit to monitor ammonia, nitrate and nitrite build up, is your water chlorinated?

8. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    That is such a cool idea! I cant wait to see how it works out. Please keep us updated (with pics puleeeeze!))

9. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Very exciting. I can't wait for updates and pictures of this set up.[​IMG]

10. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by