Raising Chicken in an urban lot? Wish you had farmland? This thread is for you!

jendodd79

Songster
7 Years
Aug 20, 2012
I wanted to start a thread for all of us urban "farmers" who wish that they actually were on farmland!

I wish that as a young, naive 24 year old I could have thought more about the long term, because darn it - real estate here was so cheap 8 years ago! Now with the inflation in real estate not matching the inflation in salaries, we're most likely stuck here in R zoning forever.

Anyone else else wish that they had a farm? What do you have now? Where are you? What kind of farm would you have if you could have one?

I live in the suburbs but I would love to have five acres or so. Chickens, definantly, and I would also want a milk cow, some goats and a donkey. I don't have much of a green thumb but I would try for a smallish garden and by smallish I mean probably about .1 acres.

Dreaming away... I would love to breed and show chickens and sell hatching eggs. Maybe Australorps and Orpingtons. :)

Hi!

I'd also love 3-5 acres. I have 8 raised bed vegetable plots but would love to double that this year - which would unfortunately take up my entire front yard green space :)

We moved from England to Tennessee so we could have the space we wanted. After living in a city with 6 million people for four years it is a HUGE change to have 11 acres but a wonderful change.
smile.png

Along with our Silkies, Wyandottes, Marans, and Orpingtons we have for breeding/hatching eggs, we have free ranging chickens for our own eggs, along with cows, miniature goats, pigs and turkeys. And we still have space to grow!

I live in Chicago. Let me tell you every square inch of my land is taken up by vegatable and fruit garden, including my balcony and chicken run roof! I do wish for more land but we made the choice of living in city so making the best of it
celebrate.gif

I live in Chicago. Let me tell you every square inch of my land is taken up by vegatable and fruit garden, including my balcony and chicken run roof! I do wish for more land but we made the choice of living in city so making the best of it
celebrate.gif

Ohh - I want to see! I need some inspiration!

Back
Top Bottom