Raising Chickens and Special Needs Kids

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Blooie, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    This has to be the most beautiful picture I've ever seen!!!

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    sweet little girl.
    very relieved and happy for her and all of you. [​IMG]

Now maybe my stomach can move back to where it belongs!

Stressful day, Blooie. I hope you sleep well tonight.

3. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Thanks, everyone! Tonight I feel a hunnnert 'n eleventy years old, but I do think I'll be able to sleep. Katie hasn't stopped grinning all evening. Glad it's over! But it's easy to forget that once the surgeries are over the hard part begins - the recovery. No doubt in my mind that she'll stun everyone with that, too! They hope to get her up tomorrow and let the kids take her for a little walk outside the hospital in her wheelchair. They can't let her walk yet because they said it's too much effort for her to walk the way it is and they don't want her to stress her incision. The Mitrofanoff for the bladder they did laproscopically, but the MACE left an incision similar to a C-section. Plus because she has no nerves in her feet, that's where they put the IV. Jenny said she doesn't even know it's in there! Ain't that something?

Aaand, got a call from Tam a bit ago. On Friday Evan went back to South Dakota to spend the summer with his dad, like he does every year. Goofy kid had a bad cough when he left and Tam suggested to his dad that they wait, but it's too hard for him to get another 3 days off work. Well, Tam was right. Evan has pneumonia. So we have Kendra in the hospital in Denver and Evan in the hospital in Sioux Falls. <Sigh> He should be discharged tomorrow though.

Man, this gramma gig is hard work!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  4. Henriettasmum

Henriettasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Prayers from so many of us. Love to all from those at Rosemary's Roost (Henrietta's Mum).

5. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Thanks....it's been a heck of journey with her so far, and I wouldn't have traded a minute of it......well, today. I would have traded today! [​IMG]

6. Henriettasmum

Henriettasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Ah Blooie, it never rains but it pours, doesn't it? But hang in there. I bet right now you wish you could split yourself in two and be in two places at the one time. So, not only are we thinking of Kendra and her recovery but also of Evan. So lots of good wishes winging their way from Australia. If thoughts and prayers can help, then I am certain they will both recover quickly. Keep your chin up, girl!

1 person likes this.
  7. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Like I always tell my kids, "I'm a tree, I can bend!" I KNOW beyond a doubt that thoughts and prayers help, and we are grateful for every single one of them. It's humbling to realize how many people have come to love Kendra and Katie.

1 person likes this.
  8. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Poor Evan.
    Prayers and hugs to him as well.
    We are a prayer web, dear.

1 person likes this.
  9. KikisGirls

KikisGirls I'll be back after Christmas Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    You are doing great! I am proud of you! You go girl!

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

Yep, I'd say that looks "waaaay comfortable" [​IMG] bless her sleepy little heart.

Okay, the nurse part of me is wondering--with her spina bifida, is she going to feel the pain from the surgery? Is it below the level of sensation? I'm wondering if the little girl will even realize what happened, and wonder what all the fuss is about? Wouldn't that be nice.

Love ya, Blooie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by