Raising Chickens and Special Needs Kids

Pics
Yep, I'd say that looks "waaaay comfortable"
roll.png
bless her sleepy little heart.

Okay, the nurse part of me is wondering--with her spina bifida, is she going to feel the pain from the surgery? Is it below the level of sensation? I'm wondering if the little girl will even realize what happened, and wonder what all the fuss is about? Wouldn't that be nice.

Love ya, Blooie.
She will most definitely feel it, Rachel, unfortunately. They have "pain sponges" (don't know the fancy term...it's what Jenny called them) attached to her - one is under the skin on one side and the other is on the opposite side on the skin. They deliver the pain block for her. Since she's non-communicative, they will leave the vitals monitors hooked up longer than usual and judge by her blood pressure, heart rate and respirations when she's starting to feel the pain. She has no nerves to her lower bowel and bladder, and no nerves in her feet from the just below the ankles on down. She does have sensation in her calves, knees, and thighs. She's kinda of a hodge-podge of where nerves start and end, which isn't unusual with Spina Bifida. So much depends on the size and location of the defect.

Love back!!

I'm so glad to hear everything went well, Blooie. Sending careful hugs to the sweet angel Kendra, Evan and big ones for Katie, their parents and granny
hugs.gif

Keep us posted on her day, please.
I know her parents must be so relieved, - but these next days will be trying on them -so we will continue to keep them with us in our thoughts and hearts.

Back
Top Bottom