raising chickens as a money saver??

Quote:
My, My! You sound so much like my DH...only difference is I begged for THREE years before he finally gave up and bought 6 sex links from TSC last March...I told him I wanted a colorful flock and we ordered BO's, SLW's, EE's, and BR's; 22 girls to start our adventure.
ya.gif

Am currently selling 4 dozen eggs a week @ $3/doz (could sell more if I had them); we eat the small pullet eggs and share with the neighbors what we do not eat. Waiting on the rest of the girls to join in (1 EE, 1 BR, 4 SLW, 2 BO) so I can pick up more customers. I've already suggested to DH we add on and get 24 to 30 more next year so I can sell hatching eggs, too. Trying to look ahead when my DH retires in 5 or so years; we could sure use the added income.

I wanted manure for the garden and the benefit of knowing how old the eggs were and what the hens had been eating. My DH can not eat store bought eggs, they always give him diarrhea...he is thrilled that he can eat ours without any problems.

DH discovered he loves to sit and watch Chicken TV. He buys bread at the discount store to pitch to the girls; always great for a laugh. I'm currently growing mealworms so our girls get more protein...no free range in our neighborhood due to feral cats and dogs running loose.
somad.gif

I thought this might be a prank post!!!!
smile.png
Definitely not a money saving venture.... BUT, the eggs are great, the comedy of chickens is worth a few movie tickets, and not having to cut my back lawn EVER is priceless!

It seems to me you guys are comparing apples and oranges. You can't compare the cost of raising a high-quality product (eggs & meat) with the cost of buying MUCH inferior product from the grocery store.
Those grocery store eggs and chicken meat are cheap for a reason. They are clearly inferior!
If you BUY the same quality that you can raise at home, you will be paying more for it than it would cost you to raise it yourself.
Compare the same quality goods to see if it is profitable.

I would say that if I compare eggs and chicken based on local comparable items, I would spend minimum of $5 lb for whole non caged chicken feed standard feeds and free range nest laid eggs at the local health store are $3.50 doz. Organic can run as high as $5.
The only way I can see myself making a profit is to breed and sell live chicks, butchered birds for raw feeding, and POL pullets. Eggs sales at best would be break even. Will give it a try as I learn about breeding and raising chickens for food and fun.
My first year has me enthralled with chickens, my pain therapist says they will save my life because they keep me going.
thumbsup.gif

Yeah right! If I discount the cost of the first egg it won't be so bad but that first egg cost like solid gold.
But for me it is the joy of these little creatures happily running around and paying me back the best they can
They help make me happy
Also I don't want to ever eat a store bought egg again

Will reiterate what Tammy d 57 posted
the question was about comparing costs
You will get (if you look after your birds properly) a quality product-your local prices
If you have always bought the cheapest eggs and chicken then I would think you would need to seek out local fresh farm eggs and compare them for taste etc.
then you would need to decide if that is far superior to what you buy at the cheapest prices-most of us on here think so but of course that is subjective.
then your eggs are valued at what you want to have your family eating-around here it is 4-6$ per dozen -store prices but of course they can never be as fresh as your own no matter what the store eggs sell at

Secondly -you could find out if you know family or friends who would buy an extra dozen or so a week of your quality product at a reasonable price-more than the cheapest-probably less than the highest

Thirdly-the manure has a cost benefit -either to you or to another gardener
Four-a properly constructed hen house and (or) chicken tractor has a value-you could build for resale if you wished

Five-In addition to grower/layer feed some additional feed can be found by the hens when free ranging-or in movable chicken tractors if moved often-adding extra green feed from the garden or lawn and some quality table scraps (extra brown rice-whole grain bread scraps-leftover egg-fruit peels etc.)

Non producing hens can be processed for the table if you wish

Taking a hard look at what you want for your family and how you can work towards that will give you more of a whole picture

Also if you have children the experience of helping the family produce part of their food is an invaluable addition to their view of their world-
Letting them own-handle and care for a few chickens has way more benefit (IMHO) than getting a hamster or guinea pig (and we have had both)
cheers
frow.gif

grace

Back
Top Bottom