Raising chickens on weekends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it can be done as long as you have a safe place for them to stay and enough food and water to last. The only caveat would be how you feel about not seeing them 5 days in a week. I only see my birds on weekends during the school year so when someone get's sick, I don't know till I get home. (At least I get to yell at my brother for not noticing though) My almost useless brother adds food and water plus door closing, but he could be automated with the stuff that exists today. It's up to you really. It can be done, just depends on how you feel about leaving them behind.

Quote:
First off to all those that said they were through with this thread HI, its like a car wreck, youj say you wont look but yo always do.

First off what would you consider a successfull flock??

Are you just wanting to have birds there when you get there?

It is doable if you dont mind risking comeing home to an empty coop, a coop full of dead chickens.

there are large enough feeders, automatic waterers etc...
do you plan on them being locked inside all week? or plan on doing a Fort Knox sucurity system depending where you are Bear proof/ bobcat etc, weasil, ratcoon. and dont forget owls and hawks so top of run would have to be 100% secure also.

If building a coop like that is a sucessful flock then yes it can be done, just dont see the why

Wow!! Poor davidott...new member....first post...wonder if he'll come back!

davidott I hope you don't let this thread put a negative light on this forum...it's a really kewl place...some are just REALLY passionate about their chickens!

It seems like you'd really like to have some chickens or you wouldn't have asked the question. Is there anyway you can switch this around and have your flock in the city?? Many on here do and could help you out...nicely..of course!
big_smile.png

Newchickenmom&kids :

Wow!! Poor davidott...new member....first post...wonder if he'll come back!

davidott I hope you don't let this thread put a negative light on this forum...it's a really kewl place...some are just REALLY passionate about their chickens!

It seems like you'd really like to have some chickens or you wouldn't have asked the question. Is there anyway you can switch this around and have your flock in the city?? Many on here do and could help you out...nicely..of course!
big_smile.png

But then he would be neglecting them on the weekends when he was in the country...
he.gif

Maybe the chickens could commute back and forth...
wink.png

While I think this is a workable idea as long as there is back up available just two thoughts to consider.
If weather conditions where you are located are prone to freezes in the winter, you will need to make sure someone checks the water in case it freezes.
Another thing is to carefully check which breeds to aquire. Some do better being cooped up while others do not. That was my deciding factor in selecting my breeds as I do plan to go away for short periods of time (3-4 days) and it is much easier to have someone just check on the kids than have to fully take care of them.

Quote:
But then he would be neglecting them on the weekends when he was in the country...
he.gif

wink.png

I think it would be more acceptable and easier to leave them for the weekend. I think neglect is pretty strong for 2 days.

Last edited:
Personally, I think it would be FEASIBLE to keep them fed, watered, and relatively clean. Not so sure about disease, though, and the idea of visiting a coop of dead chickens turns my stomach.

I guess I don't understand why you want them. Personally I love to watch them. When we go away, we have someone come twice a day to make sure they are let in & out, and to make sure they have food and water (who can predict if the waterer will get tipped over for the first time, or the roof springs a leak and ruins the food?).

My chickens may not care if I am there or not, but 3/4 of the fun of this is to see THEM. I love to watch them. They are hilarious, sweet, and infinitely entertaining. They don't nag, yell at me, or ask for another sandwich as soon as I sit down. I'm excited about the eggs, but I'm in it for the GIRLS. Only seeing them two days a week sort of spoils the fun of it.

My advice is: Buy eggs from a farmstand, and hold off on the chickens for now.

-Meghan

Last edited:
Quote:
THIS is exactly what I was thinking. Otherwise my opinion would be not to do it. It's not fair to the chickens, and NO argument will convince me otherwise.

Newchickenmom&kids :

Quote:
he.gif

wink.png

I think it would be more acceptable and easier to leave them for the weekend. I think neglect is pretty strong for 2 days.​

I think you need to read my posts...have you heard of sarcasm...
idunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom