Raising chicks for 4H

Searsmom

Crowing
9 Years
Feb 8, 2014
Dandridge, TN
I've had chickens for awhile, but my 10 yr old signed us up in 4H to show 4 Barred Rocks out of a batch of 15 provided by 4H.
Anybody have tips on special care while they're growing and how to get them ready for the show? Do we need to have them in cages or will the show have display cages? Never actually been to a poultry show.
Any and all tips welcome!

I show checked he for 4-h so I'll see what questions I can answer:
1. I like to let mine outside to run around some so what I've done several times is built them a pen. It helps to keep them healthy and gets them to move around a lot.
2. Make sure that they have the right kind of feed at the right time for what you are showing them for.
3. Handle them a lot so they are comfortable around you and do better in the show.
4. At the fair that I go to they supply cages and feed and water dishes but you will definitely want to check with the people that run the show at your fair

I hope that helped you out. Also have fun with it because I love my 4-h chickens and am super glad that I get to take them to the fair!

Thanks, that does point me in the right direction. I can call the extension office about cages at the fair.
I've seen a lot of different stuff over the years at various farm stores and wondered if amy of those feeds for plumage were worth buying?

Back
Top Bottom