Raising chicks from eggs

poofhair

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Ok I am new and just went out and got the first egg. I have always wondering... What needs to be done to be able to get baby chicks? Do I just let the chicken do it all? Also does the roaster peck at the eggs? Please tell me everything I need to know to get a chick from the egg.
Thanks!

First,
welcome-byc.gif
Next to your questions. In order to get a chicken to hatch eggs she has to be broody. If she isn't, she won't. I am thinking any rooster trying to peck the eggs under a broody hen would think twice before doing it again. she will beat the c**p out of him.
smile.png
You can use an incubator which is my method of choice since I have no broody hens. Do you KNOW the eggs are fertile?

Ha most of that wizzed over my head
smile.png
a broody hen? They are Bantams. And how can I tell if the egg is fertile?

Is it possible I can let my Hen take care of the egg so I can observe how they do it?

Ok well I only have 1 Hen and it didnt really do anything when I took the egg (It wasnt by it at the time) so does that mean either the hen can hatch it or I can? So I can leave it (egg) in there and the hen will hatch it...

You can TRY leaving the egg, but a lot of breeds just don't go broody much. What type of hen is she? You can fertility check your eggs by incubating them and seeing if something develops or crack one and look. All eggs will have a small white dot. A fertile egg will have a small ring around the dot making it look like a bullseye. However, if you have one hen and one rooster, I am SURE her eggs are fertile.
smile.png
If she let you take it, she isn't broody and most likely not even thinking about it. You could either buy an incubator to hatch some of her eggs or there are some good directions on here for making your own out of some pretty common household items.
smile.png
Hatching babies is TOO much fun! If you do it you will become addicted!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom