raising chicks in Rio Verde, AZ

Mikokoke

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
Rio Verde Foothills
We've completed week two of life with chicks. And I really love these chicks. We live in far NE Scottsdale and our temps are cooler - on average 8 degrees cooler. Just want to make sure we have the right breeds for our climate. Currently, their run is 10'x5' and they free range for about an hour a day now. The coop is 4x5 with 4 nesting boxes. We've all enjoyed watching the chicks interact and grow. Currently, we have 3 Ameraucanas, 3 Black Astraulorps, 3 Rhode Island Reds and 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte. We plan on adding a tractor coop and separating the chickens on a rotating basis. We believe we can add 2 more chicks of the same age to our flock. Can't decide if we should add buff orpingtons or one of the breeds we already have. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks!

Im on AZ as well. I've got 6 buff orpingtons and I absolutely love them. They are so sweet and have done very well in the few heat spikes we have had so far.

welcome-byc.gif

Greetings from Kansas, Mikokoke, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us! If introduced properly just about any breed is great. I love Buff Orps but then again, I have about 15 "favorite" breeds! Variety is the spice of life! Best wishes to you and your flock!

Back
Top Bottom