Raising chicks outdoors in Fall!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catchthewind, Oct 20, 2011.

1. catchthewind

catchthewind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Vancouver Island
    A hen of ours went broody a few weeks back, and was very insistent so I gave her some eggs. Despite her going to the wrong nest a few times and the eggs getting cold, she has managed to hatch three so far! There are three more under her but some of the other hens had gotten into her box and laid eggs later on, so even if they are viable I'm assuming she will probably end up abandoning them before they hatch. This was our first time putting eggs under a broody and we did learn our lesson and ended up moving her and her eggs into a kennel (still in the coop). Anyway, it was so exciting to hear the peeping yesterday, as we'd all but given up on the eggs hatching considering they had gotten cold a few times. I'm hoping she will do the integration for me, though right now she is locked in the kennel with her chicks until they're a little more steady and she looks like she wants to go somewhere. She's still sitting on the last eggs (and keeps pulling the food dish underneath her, which is kind of hilarious). Anyone have any tips for the best way to try and introduce her and the chicks to the rest of the flock?

Anyway, so far doing it with a hen is infinitely easier than the brooder. She's doing an awesome job, and it's amazing to see one day old chicks wandering about already in this chilly weather!

Here they are. No idea on what they are. Our rooster is an Ameraucana. I think one is a cross with our EE because I don't see any green eggs left under her and I'm sure there was at least one. I haven't found a third shell though, the other two were from brown eggs. I have Lavender and Buff Orpingtons, a Wyandotte, a Barred Rock, a RIR, a Partridge Chantecler, and a Brahma who are all suspect. I do have a few others too but pretty sure none of their eggs were under her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    How adorable and encouraging! Thank you for sharing the story and the pictures [​IMG]

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    That first one looks like it has ear muffs!! Very cute every time!

4. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    the first one is soooooo pretty

5. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    All of them are ADORABLE! What kind of hen is that beautiful broody?

I wish one of mine would go broody, but hope it'll be in warmer weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by