Raising Chicks

Pics
Ok. I think I'm allowed a rooster where I live. At what age do they start crowing?

I feel like that is a bit of a last resort because I would feel bad putting a collar on him...

Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm probably going to order from Murrays because I can get 7 instead of from TSC where I can only get a min of 10.
They start crowing at 3 to 4 months old depending on the maturity time of the breed and they don't just crow once or twice in the morning, its continuous and annoyingly loud! Furthermore, roosters unlike hens, bite. The dominant rooster will challenge you and needs to acknowledge your authority.

Would that be a bad thing???
Not necessarily, all flocks have a pecking order, and in all flocks someone is going to be the lowest in it. Usually the smaller, or weakest one is the lowest. It might become a problem if one of the other hens picks on them a LOT, so just hope all your chicks are friendly! Each bird will have its own personality, although if you research different breeds, some will be more likely to be aggressive than others.

Last edited:
Not necessarily, all flocks have a pecking order, and in all flocks someone is going to be the lowest in it. Usually the smaller, or weakest one is the lowest. It might become a problem if one of the other hens picks on them a lot, so just hope all your chicks are friendly! Each bird will have its own personality, although if you research different breeds, some will be more likely to be aggressive than others.
Ok. Would Buff Orpingtons and Amber Stars be mean to other chickens?

Notice how one chicken can peck others and don't get pecked. They will challenge you like how they challenge other chickens while growing up.

Back
Top Bottom