Raising Chicks

Pics
If you see a mongoose in your yard, your chicks are in danger. They have a keen sense of smell, and hunt sounds of baby chicks. I just lost four chicks out of six to a mongoose. I saw a bloody chick's head sticking through the chicken wire. The mongoose ran away after he saw me.
I do not think I have mongoose in my area.
But, downside to Leghorns, they are not that social. I have 3 Faverolle girls and they are the sweetest things in the world. my favorite girl (a Faverolle) always comes running to me every time i enter the coop. They are so sweet!

Sorry about my posting, im doing to many posts :) XD.
It's ok. Thanks for the info!
How big would a coop need to be for 7 buff orpingtons? How big of a run for 7? In square ft plz.

I would do a 28 sq. ft. coop for 7 buff Orpington. The run you can choose, but i have heard it is better to has a too big coop than a too small coop.
And also remember, you will need nesting boxes, food, water, grit, and roosts so take in mind where you want that to go.
Ok. Maybe 40 sq ft coop and 100 sq ft run?

I do not think I have mongoose in my area.

It's ok. Thanks for the info!
How big would a coop need to be for 7 buff orpingtons? How big of a run for 7? In square ft plz.
Remember, we discussed the sq footage..
It doesn't matter what breed of chicken. The sq ft is the same..
I told you for your area where you will have weather variances of hot and cold, 5-6 sq ft per chicken for Inside the coop.
7-10 sq ft for Outside run.
When the weather is bad, they won't want to go outside much. So you need to have more space than 4 sq ft per bird. The smaller the sq ft, the more fighting and pecking at eachother. If I put you and your sibling in a small room all day, you will fight too!
More space the better.
So for your coop for 7 birds.
Coop:
5 sq ft per chicken × 7 birds= 35sq ft.
Outside Run:
10sq ft each x 7 birds=
70 sq feet.

Ok. I thought up a few more questions:
  1. What bedding should I use when I first get them? I heard that they may think wood shavings are food. If I should use something else, when do I transition them to wood shavings?
  2. What (of the chickens that can be sexed right from when they are born) are the most friendly?
Remember: I gave you pictures?
The bedding for chicks is:
Pine FLAKES. ( NOTshavings, they eat it) Flakes are too large.

Attachments

• 20201015_001158.jpg
    20201015_001158.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 2
Questions:
At what age do chicks need perches?
Can I use ping pong balls as toys?
Do they need vitamins?
How do I clean off poop?
How often should I switch the bedding?
Are they spooked by loud noises?
Can Buff Orpingtons be sexed when they are young?
What are some pros and cons of keeping chicken?
1.Your chicks will begin to try out a roost after they are fully feathered out and ready for the coop without heat.
2. Read about Deep bedding on BYC. With this method, you change it out if it gets wet or every one to 2 mos.
3. Your chicks can become use to loud noices. I had mine outside in their pens when we built the coop. The drills, circular saw, hammering, staple gun never bothered them.
4. Buff Orpingtons can be sexed young BUT, you will ALWAYS run the roulette game of getting a rooster. Neither except sex links and auto sex links are fool proof. I gave you that list last night.
5. YOU need to do some research too about your questions.
Here are my Pros and Cons of chicken husbandry.
Its a personal choice.
Pros:
A. Eggs
B. Funny things they do
C. Company
D. Topic of conversation
E. Having pets
Cons:
A. Time
B. Costs
C. Illness
D. Supplies
E. Feeding & watering
F. Never can just "leave" them for vacations
G. Need someone to care for them when you can't.
H. Vet bills if you need one
I. Poop smell
J. Preditor fears
K. Injuries to eachother
L. Tearing up the yard
M. Noise from clucking loudly
N. Neighbors complaining to the police.
M. Being fined by the city.
N. Getting up early Everyday to let them out, feeding n watering them. Never get to sleep in. Unless you have an automatic door.
P. What if your evacuated, where do your chickens go?
Q. What if you get a rooster?
R. Where will the rooster go?
S. Need a large dog crate or two for isolation of a sick chicken.
The Con List goes on....
Chicken keeping is a personal hobby.
It takes a lot of time to learn to care for them.
YOU need to do some of your own research.
The BYC peeps don't have all the answers for you. We give you the basics to help you and you have to DO all the homework to
learn.
Like we talked last night,
Make your list of questions.
Do some searching on BYC for your own answers in the search section.
Good night and good luck
Where is your new Avatar?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom