Raising Chicks

Pics
I'm looking for local hatcheries...
I don't currently have a timeline because I haven't written my essay or even talked to my parents about getting them. In total, how much would it cost to build a 50 sq ft coop and a 100 sq ft run? I will make sure to read everything.

How much is shipping?
Depending on how many chickens you get, I would make the coop smaller as it doesn't need to be that large

Check out Tractor supply too.
They ship via Hoover Hatchery.
I order = 10 chicks.
If you order from anywhere READ the FINE PRINT. Have your parents Read the fine print too. VERY IMPORTANT.
you WILL want them VACCINATED and make sure you know HOW many come per order.
If you order 7, you can get 70 chicks because at Tractor supply One order is 10. If you order from Murray's, one order minunium is 15! Based on what that Fine Print says.
Make sure you order FEMALES/PULLETS.
they will also send you "Bonus" chicks. More often than not, that said bonus are "Males!".
So know what your plan is for the said "Bonus" males.
Otherwise, you & your Dad will have to "Cull" them.
If you don't order females and you order "Free Run", then they just grab chicks from a bin and send them. Males and females...who knows!
But, mostly Males. So, in that case, out of 10 chicks, you could get 9 Roosters and 1 Pullets. Sorry about your luck is what is said.
No returns!!
Read the Fine Print.
Will both TCS and Murry's send me extras? I could see if I could give the roosters away. Otherwise, I would have to cull them :( I could probably ask the site to please not send me any extras...

Will both TCS and Murry's send me extras? I could see if I could give the roosters away. Otherwise, I would have to cull them :( I could probably ask the site to please not send me any extras...
Idk, but, you sure could ask?
If you get a Roo, raise it as livestock for awhile and then"Cull" it. People do put them on the dinner table you know-right?
At least you would know what it ate.
It would be good experience for you.
I did it to two Cockerels. They tasted great!!! Better than the store.
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain asking. Tell them, you can't chance getting a Cockerel because you live in a place that doesn't permit them.
If you ordered Sex or Auto links, then you would know immediately if it were a roo. So, it would be easier to do right as soon as you receive them.
But, then again....you might get a Female. That's just it, you never know. But, at least now you are more educated of that possible fact.

No crow rooster collars work. You can control the sound by making it tighter. I made one completely stop crowing, he hasn't died yet. The weird thing about that one is he doesn't do the backward shake like the others, he acts like its not there.
I make my own collars, I use a velcro and cut it according to the roosters size.

Hi all!
I was wondering what the essentials are for raising chicks? Also, what are the essentials for caring for adult chickens? What are the maintenance schedules like for both chicks and chickens? What is a good number of chickens to start with? How much land would they need? Can you guys recommend any useful products? Sorry for the question overload, I just really want to learn. Does anyone have some good point/reasons to get chickens so that I can convince my mom? Thanks!

About the cost...
Look at Tractor supply web site. They sale coops on there. Then, check out and read what people wrote on BYC in the DIY coop section.
There is A LOT of coop info on here.
Me, I can't give you a dollar amount because we used recycled wood that we already had left over from various projects.
Some people have made coops out of those old large TV dishes and also
Wooded pallets for free!
Look how cool that is.
So, BE Creative. As long as your girls are dry, have food and water and good ventilation without cold weather drafts on them, they will be happy because You are taking GOOD care of them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201017-005331_Chrome Dev.jpg
    Screenshot_20201017-005331_Chrome Dev.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20201017-005524_Pinterest.jpg
    Screenshot_20201017-005524_Pinterest.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I'm looking for local hatcheries...
I don't currently have a timeline because I haven't written my essay or even talked to my parents about getting them. In total, how much would it cost to build a 50 sq ft coop and a 100 sq ft run? I will make sure to read everything.

How much is shipping?
The web sites WILL tell you.

Back
Top Bottom