Raising CX and Colored Range Birds Together - Observations Please

zephyrcreek

Songster
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Yale, Michigan
Does anyone raise both the CX and Range birds? I started a batch of 100 Hubbard White Mountain Chicks (CX) 4/28 hatch, Colored RAnge birds from J&M 5/6 hatch, and have another 100 Dixie Rainbow in the brooder (6/1). I put the CX out on pasture at 3 weeks. The were very active but I never saw them grazing on the wonderful clover field at their feet. A week later I added 25 of the larges best featherd range birds. Within a few days of adding the range birds the CX were grazing with just as much attention an gusto as the range birds.

Has anyone else had this experience? This particular line of CX (Hubbard) seems to be much healthier and more active than any of the CX that we raised on the farm growing up. They are always running all over the place and even flying small distances. They will be 6 weeks tomorrow and they are not the fat lazy birds that most describe. I am just wondering if it is the bloodline, the fact that I have tried to slow down their growth rate slightly, or the influence of the colored range birds?????

I currently have over 50 CX (sold the other 50) and 80+ of the range birds out on pasture. They are split between two different tractors at night (there is usually a mix in each tractor every night) and turned out to free range during the day.

It will be interesting to see how they develop over the next few weeks.

I've had very good luck with Townline's birds. I agree- mine have performed much better than the birds I got at McMurray. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that shipping within Michigan is a pretty easy trip for them.

Well my Colored range birds came from PA, and my Dixie Rainbows from AL......and the were in GREAT shape when they arrived. I really think that the Hubbard line that Towline carries is a much better match for what I want than the average CX, but I don't have enough experience to really judge. My Hubbards run 100+ feet to greet me at the fence in the evening at 6 weeks old and around 3 lbs. Is that normal for other strains of the CX??? Some might say a 6 week old bird at only 3lbs is small, but I built my management program with that result in mind.

I'd really like to know if there are many other people raising both kinds at the same time and what observations they have?

I am satidsfied so far, but they are too young yet to make a true observation. I can comment on my colored range birds from J&M Hatchery. Love them! They act like chickens while still growing at a much faster rate. I am growing them side by side with my Hubbard CX. The CX are 10 days older. The range birds are 1/2 - 3/4 the size of the CX (seem to be right on the schedule that I expected). I expected the Rainbows to follow a similar growth pattern. What I really like is the combination of the two different types pastured together. The CX seem to pick up on all the traits that I consider "good" in the rangers. Also I have had a much higher mortality rate in CX than the range birds. I have only lost one range birds since they went out on pasture and it was one that got hurt. It's not fun to feed a bird for 6 weeks and then have it drop dead for no apparant reason. I will say that the CX that I have lost were ones that were much smaller than the others and just did not seem to thrive.

EZ

Back
Top Bottom