Raising ducklings, Goslings and Turkey poults in same brooder?

Viking84

Chirping
Mar 18, 2019
In early April I will be getting 4-6 each ducklings,goslings and Turkey poults to split with a friend. Plan right now is for me to raise the waterfowl until old enough to place outside in a regular coop, and my friend to raise the Turkeys until they are old enough. Then I give her a few waterfowl and she gives me a couple turkeys.
However, my concern is that my friend is not very responsible, and I would not be surprised if none of her birds survived past the first couple weeks. I would rather give her half of the waterfowl and turkeys right away, and me take the other half to raise together. Question is, how difficult would it be to raise Ducklings,Goslings and turkey poults in the same brooder? I dont want to build another brooder just for a couple turkey poults. I feel that my friend has a 50/50 chance of getting any baby birds to reach the age old enough to release into a regular coop. Should I try to raise all 3 types of birds in my one brooder? Or should I only raise the waterfowl or turkeys, and hope that she will not kill the others?

Last edited:
When I put my chicks and some ducklings together the ducklings soaked the chicks and one chick got so cold it died:hit. Apparently chicks and ducks aren't supposed to be kept together for that exact reason. However, I believe you could make it work with enough care and supervision, just making sure you know the risks.

Good luck and have a great day!

An experienced keeper could keep waterfowl and poults in the same brooder, but for the novice, I would suggest separate brooders or there is a good chance the poults will die.

Waterfowl get wet, and everything around them gets wet, including the poults or other non-waterfowl, so to brood them together, one would have to be on top of the situation literally 24/7, and that is something that a novice probably won't be able to do.

I wouldn't raise turkey poults with any other species. They bond with them, and will than see them as the same species which goes bad later on. I also would not mix adult turkeys with other poultry species. Turkeys can be relentless when they decide they don't like another bird.

Turkey poults also are a bit fragile initially and need a higher temperature, and often need to be taught to eat and drink.

Your geese will grow quickly. I wouldn't mix them with any other species either in a brooder. I was surprised how quickly they got big. They can crush smaller birds.

You are best brooding all the species separately so they don't bond. Otherwise you will have birds trying to mate each other at sexual maturity, and may see some fighting that you wouldn't ordinarily see.

I wouldn't raise turkey poults with any other species. They bond with them, and will than see them as the same species which goes bad later on. I also would not mix adult turkeys with other poultry species. Turkeys can be relentless when they decide they don't like another bird.

Turkey poults also are a bit fragile initially and need a higher temperature, and often need to be taught to eat and drink.

Your geese will grow quickly. I wouldn't mix them with any other species either in a brooder. I was surprised how quickly they got big. They can crush smaller birds.

You are best brooding all the species separately so they don't bond. Otherwise you will have birds trying to mate each other at sexual maturity, and may see some fighting that you wouldn't ordinarily see.
I can easily make a divider in my brooder to keep two of the species seperated. I can give my friend the 3rd species (most likely turkeys) to raise. As for adult turkeys.. If I only keep a couple female adult turkeys, will that be a problem mixing them with adult chickens.ducks and geese? I can see how a 30-40lb Tom would harm a 5lb hen chicken or duck. But would a hen turkey be a problem for other species?

I can easily make a divider in my brooder to keep two of the species seperated. I can give my friend the 3rd species (most likely turkeys) to raise. As for adult turkeys.. If I only keep a couple female adult turkeys, will that be a problem mixing them with adult chickens.ducks and geese? I can see how a 30-40lb Tom would harm a 5lb hen chicken or duck. But would a hen turkey be a problem for other species?
I see more cross species aggression from my turkey hens. The toms are okay if they have turkey hens generally. Some people mix them. I personally don't. I've seen what they can do and I prefer not to worry. You gotta decide yourself what you are comfortable with.

Turkey poults can be hard to get started, so hopefully your friend reads up on them. They need a bit warmer brooder the first week or two, generally around 90-95 degrees, and you need to make sure they eat, and drink daily. I usually use my finger to tap at food a few times a day. Turkey poults hatch ready to learn. Ducks, geese, chicks all hatch with instincts, so it's a bit different.

Hi I am raising two adult turkeys a Tom, Wilson and my female Belle with ducks, geese, chickens and roosters all together in one run.
Wilson likes our new rescue goose Bruce a lot and so does Belle they like to be near him.
Belle is very curious and sometimes she will “chase” someone around but doesn’t harm them.
They have never harmed the chickens at all. We have bantams, silkies, and an Orpington and a few others mixed in.
My bantam rooster gooch was top before Wilson came. It took a little bit of gooch full on attacking Wilson relentlessly for him to retaliate. It wasn’t even until the second fight until Wilson even made a move other than out of protection and grabbed Gooch’s comb a little and shook him around but he didn’t hurt him. After that Gooch finally let up and Wilson would chase him away if he came out from under the coop but now they are totally fine together.
I haven’t had the turkeys a long time and sometimes I do worry that they could hurt the others if they really wanted to but it doesn’t seem that mine are at all aggressive.
Wilson came from a home where he was always together with turkeys, ducks, chickens and goats. I’m not sure about Belle.
Wilson will sometimes push the others away form the corn I throw ( his fav) but he will just walk over with his neck out not peck.
Wilson was an adult when we got him Belle is younger. None of my others have seen chickens or turkeys until I brought them in and the ducks especially don’t care about the turkeys or chickens at all.
I would watch the hens though Belle pecks a lot at Wilson not aggressively but she pulls on him and yanks his beard he lets her do it. But she’s very forward and my goose ripped his whole nail off and she was the one trying to get at it because she just always needs to see what is happening. So I can see what @oldhenlikesdogs is saying with the relentless thing especially like she said if they dislike another bird.
Also I forgot to mention they do not sleep together none of my species are mixed when they sleep only ducks and geese.

Attachments

• C832E580-BB30-411B-BF73-76B7CEFE4A5A.jpeg
    C832E580-BB30-411B-BF73-76B7CEFE4A5A.jpeg
    768.1 KB · Views: 14
  • F457A52A-C7EE-44D5-8AE2-CD2CE29A5B3B.jpeg
    F457A52A-C7EE-44D5-8AE2-CD2CE29A5B3B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • A965B266-8088-4A3A-934C-27AF1833E7D7.jpeg
    A965B266-8088-4A3A-934C-27AF1833E7D7.jpeg
    847 KB · Views: 12
  • 77AAC9F6-B672-4177-9126-D6B8B5E9658A.jpeg
    77AAC9F6-B672-4177-9126-D6B8B5E9658A.jpeg