Raising Ducks: The Basics

I have read on another post that in order to avoid "drowning" the ducklings because of their insatiable thirst that one should give and take away water in fifteen increments. I just don't have the time to do this. Is there any other way to avoid this problem or will I just have to accept the attrition?

I have read on another post that in order to avoid "drowning" the ducklings because of their insatiable thirst that one should give and take away water in fifteen increments. I just don't have the time to do this. Is there any other way to avoid this problem or will I just have to accept the attrition?
Just give them something they can't climb into, I have made my own waterers for ducklings by using a plastic butter bowl and cutting a whole in the top just large enough for them to stick their heads in but not climb into. putting a rock on the bottom to keep them from turning it over. Here ya go: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/325365/waterer-for-ducklings

Last edited:
Well, they share a water-er with some chicks who hatched the same day, it is a normal brooder water-er that they can't possibly climb into, but I just lost one duckling yesterday due to "drowning" (drinking so much they asphyxiate).

Well, they share a water-er with some chicks who hatched the same day, it is a normal brooder water-er that they can't possibly climb into, but I just lost one duckling yesterday due to "drowning" (drinking so much they asphyxiate).
Wow so sorry for your loss, I've not heard of ducklings drinking so much water they asphyxiate[sp]? Maybe because I have mama ducks they ducklings don't do that. I don't know.

My ducklings have constant water supply. Done this for 20 years (or more if you count my childhood) and never lost a duckling to drowning yet, unless it was a weird situation indeed. I've never even heard of it, so i guess I'd just water those waterfowl, and assume the universe made them water birds for a reason. Make sure if its big enough to swim, they can get out. Very young ducklings should not be able to swim in their water, just soak their heads and spread it everywhere like they love to do so much.

There must have been something more..... Seriously, I've raised like 800 ducklings, and I've had them stand on each others heads, and drown one, and I've had them get stuck in an old style waterer and drown, but I've never had one drink itself to death. How very queer.

I have a little tote to put water in for them to jump in and swim a bit. I supervise during this and then when it looks like they are done or I need to leave the coop I remove the water to outside the coop. I think the ducklings are 12 days old. Am I letting them have supervised baths to early?

As long as they have a place to dry off and stay warm after I'm sure they'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom