Raising Freedom/Red Rangers/Broilers for first time... Need feed suggestions because of limited avai

ChickenoftheVI

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 21, 2013
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
I just got an order of Cackle's Red Broilers (which look like Freedom Rangers). I live here in the Virgin Islands where the choice for feed is very limited. We have about 10 or so feed shops (no mills) that basically get their feed from the same places in the states... they all come on the same container. It took me months to get a 50# bag of medicated broiler starter @ 20% crude protein. The problem is, that ran out after 2.5 weeks. (I have 25 rangers and 26 various layer (RIR, RIW and WR)). I've been trying to get some broiler feed (high protein) for the longest to no avail. The only feed they have is 15% protein outside of their Picos Y Espuelas. Cock fighting feed. It has 30% protein. The price of that is only $2 more ($22 for 50#) than the starter ($20) that I first purchased. So I got the Cock fighting feed. The chicks are all doing great, they will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. I would like to know how long should I keep these birds on this feed, or should I start mixing it with the lower Grower (15%) feed they have, etc. Let me give the analysis of the feed: (Translating from the Spanish)

Crude Protein: Min - 30.0%
Crude Fat: Min - 2.5%
Curde Fiber: Max - 8.0%
Calcium: Min - 0.8%
Calcium: Max - 1.2%
Phosphorus: Min - 0.6%
Sodium: Min - 0.15%
Zinc: Min - 0.008%
Manganese: Min - 0.008%
Iron: Min - 0.006%
Copper: Min - 0.006%
Iodine: Min - 0.0002%
Selenium: Min 0.30 ppm
Vitamin A: Min - 5,000 UI/lb.
Vitamin D: Min - 1,100 UI/lb.
Vitamin E: Min - 5 UI/lb.
Vitamin K: Min 1.30 mg/lb.

Ingredients: Grain products, protein products of plant origin, processed grain by-products, supplement of vitamin A (Enhanced stability), Supplement of Vitamin D-3, Supplement of vitamin E, folic acid, choline chloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin mononitrate, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K), niacin, riboflavin, supplement of vitamin B-12, biotin, calcium carbonate, phosphate decalcico, salt, traces of: potassium sulphate, zinc oxide, magnesium oxide, manganese sulfate, iron sulphate, copper sulphate, sodium selenite, dihidroyoduro of ethylenediamine.

This is the ONLY high protein feed any of the feed shops have on Island... Any and ALL help would be appreciated!

I raise my FR's on Purina Flock Raiser which is 20% protein from start to finish (9-11 weeks).

In your situation, I'd simply mix the 15% and 30% feeds half and half. Chickens are pretty hard to mess up, they'll eat just about anything and do fine. :)

-Wendy

Thanks Wendy!! I'll try to pick up some tomorrow... I'm also fermenting my feed as well. Should I just start them on the mixed feed right away? They'll be 4 weeks tomorrow. Or feed them this straight feed for a little bit longer? Again, thanks!

It's not a bad idea to change over slowly, so maybe start adding a quart of the 15% to a gallon of 30% and then increase the mix until you are at half and half after a week or so. But they'll most likely be fine either way. -Wendy

"Cock fighting feed" ? Wow ... what a difference from the states :) I'd feed them the fermented mixed feed now.... they should take to it well.

Yeah Cock Fighting here in the VI and Puerto Rico is a past time like watching baseball almost... They have cock fighting stadiums where you can go watch the fights! Go figure!

I have started them on the mixed 50% each of the high and the 15% grower... all are eating it well. One of the Rangers started crawling around, and can't seem to walk... besides him, all others are doing fine... I guess the one that can't walk is having leg problems from the high protein?? I wish I knew. I guess will have to cull him if he doesn't get up... I've never experienced having a meatie with leg issues before... totally new to me.

Thanks for all your help!

Yeah, when I get a lame Freedom Ranger I take that as a sign to cut the protein back. I'd do the 50/50 another week and continually using more of the 15% to slow them and finish them off. They will probably be going out and eating bugs soon too.
I was going to say to be careful of the calcium in the 15% because that is usually either a layer feed or a finisher percentage. But either way your rangers won't be around long enough to worry about kidney damage.

Thanks for your advice! They will be going out to forage when they're around 8 weeks... I have them in a mini tractor right now due to the only big predator around... The Mongoose! My other flock can fend for themselves, got a 2 year old Dark Cornish Roo that protects them... But its a sckirmish like every other day. Gonna keep them in til they get some more size on em.

Thats pretty cool the rooster is that fierce. I had a dark cornish rooster till my horses stomped him. They are all about taking care of the hens.

One of the 34 Freedom Rangers I raised last summer (also a rooster) started having some leg problems, maybe around 6 weeks of age. He kiind of waddled with his feet close together and his weight way back on his heels. He was one of the larger and more assertive feeders, and the first to go. He was about 4.2 pounds dressed at 8 weeks. The others I butchered at 9 - 11 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom