Raising friendly chicks...

cariboujaguar

Songster
10 Years
Feb 14, 2009
Mississippi
We are tring to handle our chicks allot so they will be tame, they are all banty breeds... They seem to be getting more and more insane, not tamer... We arn't harassing them or anything, we just pick them up and hold them snug in our hands and pet them a little... I don't get why they arn't warming up to s
sad.png

Also, on TV, they showed a hatchery sexing chicks and they sqeezed them and somehow determined their sex by making them poop... how does that work?

And they are eating their chick starter crumbles but also eating their bedding, is that ok? they are bedded in cedar shavings...

It takes time for them to gain your trust though keep trying and I have a few Polish chicks out of 22 that are already becoming calm and they even let me pet them and hold them

Last edited:
If you are reaching into the brooder from above it is The Big Scary Hand and not you that they are running from. I try to keep my brooder eye level so they don't feel like they are being attacked.

I have 3 gold lace cochin bantys that are the friendliest little things you've ever seen. I brooded them in my living room in an old cat carrier that we had rigged a light in. I handled them several times a day, they could see me out the front of the carrier and I talked to them all the time. Now they've moved onto the big brooder as they've outgrown the small cat carrier.

When I go into the room where they are and sit down, they immediately jump onto my lap and arms and are so happy to see me. And I have to admit, they're my favorite.

Yesterday, I hatched some guinea keets. They're now in the cat carrier brooder and I already have them eating out of my hand.

I guess the more one on one attention the tamer they are.

Laurie

are you serious They kick it into their water and it bleeds and they drink it, they eat it to the extent one just pooped onme and it was just a balle dup cedar puff... They've been n there for days, how have they not died? OMG! I had no idea it was noxious to them!

I plan to get Orps but I want colored ones and buff ones...
smile.png
they are now bedded down in hay, thanks for all the Pms guys! I am so blessed noone died, they were knee deep in it for a week at least! EEK! someone shoudl really sticky that info somewhere!!!

Back
Top Bottom