1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising friendly chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cariboujaguar, May 17, 2009.

1. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    We are tring to handle our chicks allot so they will be tame, they are all banty breeds... They seem to be getting more and more insane, not tamer... We arn't harassing them or anything, we just pick them up and hold them snug in our hands and pet them a little... I don't get why they arn't warming up to s [​IMG]

Also, on TV, they showed a hatchery sexing chicks and they sqeezed them and somehow determined their sex by making them poop... how does that work?

And they are eating their chick starter crumbles but also eating their bedding, is that ok? they are bedded in cedar shavings...

2. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    It takes time for them to gain your trust though keep trying and I have a few Polish chicks out of 22 that are already becoming calm and they even let me pet them and hold them

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If you are reaching into the brooder from above it is The Big Scary Hand and not you that they are running from. I try to keep my brooder eye level so they don't feel like they are being attacked.

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I have 3 gold lace cochin bantys that are the friendliest little things you've ever seen. I brooded them in my living room in an old cat carrier that we had rigged a light in. I handled them several times a day, they could see me out the front of the carrier and I talked to them all the time. Now they've moved onto the big brooder as they've outgrown the small cat carrier.

When I go into the room where they are and sit down, they immediately jump onto my lap and arms and are so happy to see me. And I have to admit, they're my favorite.

Yesterday, I hatched some guinea keets. They're now in the cat carrier brooder and I already have them eating out of my hand.

I guess the more one on one attention the tamer they are.

Laurie

5. debilorrah

I just noticed the cedar - REMOVE IT ! It is toxic to them. Use pine shavings!!!

6. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    are you serious They kick it into their water and it bleeds and they drink it, they eat it to the extent one just pooped onme and it was just a balle dup cedar puff... They've been n there for days, how have they not died? OMG! I had no idea it was noxious to them!

7. debilorrah

Quote:It is the oils in it that are not good for them. Pine has much less oil in it.... Cedar is a no no.

8. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    You should get Buff Orpingtons they are the best! [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

Quote:I couldn;t agree more!!!! I love my bo's the best out of all of them!

10. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    I plan to get Orps but I want colored ones and buff ones... [​IMG] they are now bedded down in hay, thanks for all the Pms guys! I am so blessed noone died, they were knee deep in it for a week at least! EEK! someone shoudl really sticky that info somewhere!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by