Raising Geese 101

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Kevin565, Jan 9, 2012.

1. bribre

bribre Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Alberta Canada
    Ok thank you vary much ill keep that in mind. :)

2. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I am new to geese. My 3 year old is allergic to eggs, dairy, and wheat. It has been a fun 3 years. She is not alleric to geese eggs which is a miracle. My question is how long to geese lay. I know they dont lay year round, but what is the season. I am tryin to stock up before they stop laying. We have sebbies, chinese, and africans. I think we have brown chinese and then africans. Do africans have a weird turkey (old lady) neck and are they way bigger than the chinese. I thought we had 3 africans until I got some other africans from a friend and those guys are huge so may be i have 3 brown chinese

3. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    There are Africans that have a dewlap, the old lady hanging chin. [​IMG]

4. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Also what are the best egg layers?

5. the gardener

the gardener New Egg

Jun 6, 2013
    I live in a subdivision but have a big backyard I was wondering if America buff is a good quit breed that lays good eggs

6. lovinchickypoos

lovinchickypoos Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Freda and Wilmer are almost all growed up! They are almost 13 wk old. So, goose experts, are they Chinese? Wilmer is getting quite the dewlap, so I wondered if he/she is an African. Freda is the only one who allows petting and he/she squats down when I pet the back of the neck. The tail goes up like she/he is posturing for mating, but I've caught them in the pool trying to mate and Freda climbs on top of Wilmer, who usually acts more male in general. Thoughts on sexes??

7. lovinchickypoos

I'll try to get a better close up of Wilmer with the dewlap. But this is Freda
    [​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I believe Chinese are the best egg layers.
    Buffs will be on the quiter side compared to Africans or Chinese but they can still cause quite a bit of noise.
    They look like what people around here call Hatchery Quality Africans. They're adorable! [​IMG]. It sounds like you may very well have a pair. It should be easier to sex once the knobs come in.

9. lovinchickypoos

Thanks for the response!

10. tsuya

tsuya Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    Snohomish in the PNW
    Okay I hope this isn't a silly question but will geese lay eggs without a gander?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by