Raising Geese 101

I am new to geese. My 3 year old is allergic to eggs, dairy, and wheat. It has been a fun 3 years. She is not alleric to geese eggs which is a miracle. My question is how long to geese lay. I know they dont lay year round, but what is the season. I am tryin to stock up before they stop laying. We have sebbies, chinese, and africans. I think we have brown chinese and then africans. Do africans have a weird turkey (old lady) neck and are they way bigger than the chinese. I thought we had 3 africans until I got some other africans from a friend and those guys are huge so may be i have 3 brown chinese

There are Africans that have a dewlap, the old lady hanging chin.
wink.png

I live in a subdivision but have a big backyard I was wondering if America buff is a good quit breed that lays good eggs

Freda and Wilmer are almost all growed up! They are almost 13 wk old. So, goose experts, are they Chinese? Wilmer is getting quite the dewlap, so I wondered if he/she is an African. Freda is the only one who allows petting and he/she squats down when I pet the back of the neck. The tail goes up like she/he is posturing for mating, but I've caught them in the pool trying to mate and Freda climbs on top of Wilmer, who usually acts more male in general. Thoughts on sexes??

Also what are the best egg layers?
I believe Chinese are the best egg layers.
I live in a subdivision but have a big backyard I was wondering if America buff is a good quit breed that lays good eggs
Buffs will be on the quiter side compared to Africans or Chinese but they can still cause quite a bit of noise.

Freda and Wilmer are almost all growed up! They are almost 13 wk old. So, goose experts, are they Chinese? Wilmer is getting quite the dewlap, so I wondered if he/she is an African. Freda is the only one who allows petting and he/she squats down when I pet the back of the neck. The tail goes up like she/he is posturing for mating, but I've caught them in the pool trying to mate and Freda climbs on top of Wilmer, who usually acts more male in general. Thoughts on sexes??

They look like what people around here call Hatchery Quality Africans. They're adorable!
love.gif
. It sounds like you may very well have a pair. It should be easier to sex once the knobs come in.

Back
Top Bottom