Raising Geese 101

You haven't?? why I have more pics of my flock than the grand kids[but don't tell any one]
wink.png

They sound adorable and love the names

life has been beyond hectic for the past few weeks, I would loved to have spent more time with them than I have been able to; unfortunately I have been up to my eyeballs in plasterboards and insulation. I feel I have missed out so much with them, even though I have still spent at least a couple of hours with them each day, I feel it has not been enough for my liking.
I put a big comfy chair in one of my fields and I sit there watching them graze and guzzle, we then have goosey hugs for a while before bathing, drying and cleaning their house.
I usually take many photographs of everything I am doing, but life has got in the way somewhat recently.

life has been beyond hectic for the past few weeks, I would loved to have spent more time with them than I have been able to; unfortunately I have been up to my eyeballs in plasterboards and insulation. I feel I have missed out so much with them, even though I have still spent at least a couple of hours with them each day, I feel it has not been enough for my liking.
I put a big comfy chair in one of my fields and I sit there watching them graze and guzzle, we then have goosey hugs for a while before bathing, drying and cleaning their house.
I usually take many photographs of everything I am doing, but life has got in the way somewhat recently.
It happens to us all. At least you have been able to have some quality time with them .That counts.
smile.png

hi,
I got a new female embden to join the driveway firm.
a friend of mine did a several hundred mile round trip to pick up a new female of about the same age that was kept in fairly similar conditions to my babies.
upon arrival I took the cage from the car and placed it on the floor. my babies came over and took a look to see what it was. no-one seemed particularly upset, rather my babies were trying to chew the travel cage. so I tentatively opened the cage door.
I need not have been worried, she waddled out and joined the gang instantly, as if she had always been part of the group.
there was no fighting or distress from any of them, they checked each other out like they were welcoming an old buddy, then they all took off into the field to munch on some grass.
Constance (the name of the new goose) is a little more hesitant with our family at the moment, but she is getting there.
I often lay on the ground and my goosey buddies come over and give me a little grooming in exchange for some hugs and a rub of their bellies. she seemed a little unsure to start but soon got into the swing of things after a couple of days and now lets me stroke her back and belly. her neck is off limits at the moment, but like everything new, it just takes time and a little two way trust. if she gets too close to my face then "the boys" give her a little nudge or a gentle nibble to remind her of her manners, there is nothing vicious or vindictive in it, seems they are just letting her know with a gentle coaxing that she cannot get "that" close yet (even though they happily eat my hair and nibble at my ears if they can get away with it).

anyhoo, here is a few pics of the gang. Constance is the one at the back (except for the final picture, she is the one on the left). she has a slightly deeper orange colour to her beak. her "voice hasn't deepened quite yet, nor has she developed the hanging undercarriage that my babies have, although she is around the same size as Ronnie (my other female), has a few dark feathers in the tail and one on her back and has developed her blue eyes to a similar shade to that of the others.
I got her on Monday, so it's been a couple of days since she arrived.

Last edited:

hi,
I got a new female embden to join the driveway firm.
a friend of mine did a several hundred mile round trip to pick up a new female of about the same age that was kept in fairly similar conditions to my babies.
upon arrival I took the cage from the car and placed it on the floor. my babies came over and took a look to see what it was. no-one seemed particularly upset, rather my babies were trying to chew the travel cage. so I tentatively opened the cage door.
I need not have been worried, she waddled out and joined the gang instantly, as if she had always been part of the group.
there was no fighting or distress from any of them, they checked each other out like they were welcoming an old buddy, then they all took off into the field to munch on some grass.
Constance (the name of the new goose) is a little more hesitant with our family at the moment, but she is getting there.
I often lay on the ground and my goosey buddies come over and give me a little grooming in exchange for some hugs and a rub of their bellies. she seemed a little unsure to start but soon got into the swing of things after a couple of days and now lets me stroke her back and belly. her neck is off limits at the moment, but like everything new, it just takes time and a little two way trust. if she gets too close to my face then "the boys" give her a little nudge or a gentle nibble to remind her of her manners, there is nothing vicious or vindictive in it, seems they are just letting her know with a gentle coaxing that she cannot get "that" close yet (even though they happily eat my hair and nibble at my ears if they can get away with it).

anyhoo, here is a few pics of the gang. Constance is the one at the back (except for the final picture, she is the one on the left). she has a slightly deeper orange colour to her beak. her "voice hasn't deepened quite yet, nor has she developed the hanging undercarriage that my babies have, although she is around the same size as Ronnie (my other female), has a few dark feathers in the tail and one on her back and has developed her blue eyes to a similar shade to that of the others.
I got her on Monday, so it's been a couple of days since she arrived.
They are beautiful, love the color white my Embden is such a pretty gander. Congrats to you on your lovely new girl and that they all hit it off so well. They all look very content.

Hi, everyone, I am new to geese and hoping someone can help.

I adopted 9 goslings on Saturday I am totally new to geese and learning as I go, we got them some mash at the feed store and I also gave them some lettuce last night (the previous owner said to give them some) what should they be eating and what should I not feed them?

They are 2 weeks old and the previous owner said the mother was a Canadian x they are all from the same batch some have dark beaks some have light beaks, they also have white patches. Will have to wait and see what they look like when they are bigger. It could be that the mother adopted some goslings not sure.

The mother and two goslings were killed by jackals and I have one gosling that survived the attack, he has a damaged eye and leg but seems to be managing.

These are the goslings:

The gosling below left is the one with the damaged eye, its healing nicely and we check daily to make sure he/she is ok. Notice the little leg its turning outwards but he/she is not limping.

Everyone has grey backs except the one, they are in my brooder now but will have to move them as I have australorps eggs hatching.

Hi, everyone, I am new to geese and hoping someone can help.

I adopted 9 goslings on Saturday I am totally new to geese and learning as I go, we got them some mash at the feed store and I also gave them some lettuce last night (the previous owner said to give them some) what should they be eating and what should I not feed them?

They are 2 weeks old and the previous owner said the mother was a Canadian x they are all from the same batch some have dark beaks some have light beaks, they also have white patches. Will have to wait and see what they look like when they are bigger. It could be that the mother adopted some goslings not sure.

The mother and two goslings were killed by jackals and I have one gosling that survived the attack, he has a damaged eye and leg but seems to be managing.

These are the goslings:

The gosling below left is the one with the damaged eye, its healing nicely and we check daily to make sure he/she is ok. Notice the little leg its turning outwards but he/she is not limping.

Everyone has grey backs except the one, they are in my brooder now but will have to move them as I have australorps eggs hatching.
Congrats on your new goslings they are adorable.. here is some info on caring for them. if you can find it I'd start them on Brewers yeast[not baking yeast] water fowl cannot get enough through feeding food formulated for chickens so 1Tab of Brewers yeast per cup of feed it will help them avoid leg problems like lameness and also neurological issue that can arise from not getting enough Niacin, or you can crush up a niacin pill into their food or water but it has to be plain niacin not times released or flush free. I'm sorry to hear about the mama and the gosling being killed but looks like you have some healthy babies there. Are you treating the wounds of the lil one that was injured. Make sure to keep the wounds clean and keep it away from flies or maggots will be involved and that is not something you want to deal with,. some type of salve with out Pain relief or a saline wash keep them warm too. here is the info https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-and-caring-for-goslings

Congrats on your new goslings they are adorable.. here is some info on caring for them. if you can find it I'd start them on Brewers yeast[not baking yeast] water fowl cannot get enough through feeding food formulated for chickens so 1Tab of Brewers yeast per cup of feed it will help them avoid leg problems like lameness and also neurological issue that can arise from not getting enough Niacin, or you can crush up a niacin pill into their food or water but it has to be plain niacin not times released or flush free. I'm sorry to hear about the mama and the gosling being killed but looks like you have some healthy babies there. Are you treating the wounds of the lil one that was injured. Make sure to keep the wounds clean and keep it away from flies or maggots will be involved and that is not something you want to deal with,. some type of salve with out Pain relief or a saline wash keep them warm too. here is the info https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-and-caring-for-goslings

Thanks yes the little injured gosling was taken to the vet and we have ointment that needs to be put on the eye and leg 3 times a day. My sister is calling him Pirate lol

Thanks yes the little injured gosling was taken to the vet and we have ointment that needs to be put on the eye and leg 3 times a day. My sister is calling him Pirate lol
Aww I am glad the vet has seen him especially for infection. Keep us updated on how they are all doing. and above all enjoy , having goslings bond with you is so rewarding.

Pirate is a cute name.
smile.png

They're adorable, I can't wait to see what they look like as adults if they are mixed.

You may want to go ahead and put zip ties loosely on each goose (different colors) and change them every week or so. It's VERY helpful to be able to record which goose is which, keep track of illnesses and such, especially if a lot look the same.

Not a lot of people on here have 9 or more geese, Jtn has eleven now? I have sixteen, the zip ties are VERY VERY helpful.

They're adorable, I can't wait to see what they look like as adults if they are mixed.

You may want to go ahead and put zip ties loosely on each goose (different colors) and change them every week or so. It's VERY helpful to be able to record which goose is which, keep track of illnesses and such, especially if a lot look the same.

Not a lot of people on here have 9 or more geese, Jtn has eleven now? I have sixteen, the zip ties are VERY VERY helpful.

Zip Ties good idea ......

I only have 12 geese myself but then 3 of them are this years additions .....

Back
Top Bottom