Raising Geese 101

The gang getting bigger by the day and always happy to see me, I've notice that some are getting darker I think they have some Pilgrim in them that would be so great.

We put up blankets and boards around the enclosure as well so there is always shade during the day, even with the cover we put up the pen still gets a lot of sun.

It is starting to look like their tails are curling

The only completely yellow gosling, has blue eyes like a pilgrim

Pirate he/she is bigger than the rest now

@Nanna34 They are growing and so precious too. Do you give them any kind of greens? you can chop up some Kale or romaine lettuce and give it to them they would love some greens. mine like chopped collards to. as long as they have access to grit they can have greens.

They get tons of greens they are next to my herb and vegetable garden, they help themselves to whatever they can reach (I checked that what they are eating is ok). We give them oat grass that we pick from the field every morning. Its adorable to see them sitting in a neat row by the fence every morning waiting for their breakfast.

They get tons of greens they are next to my herb and vegetable garden, they help themselves to whatever they can reach (I checked that what they are eating is ok). We give them oat grass that we pick from the field every morning. Its adorable to see them sitting in a neat row by the fence every morning waiting for their breakfast.
I bet that is precious of course we need a pic of it. lol I have to get my gosling fix from you all who have them now. I forgot yall are in spring good time for goslings.
smile.png

The rainy season has officially started we moved the goslings back to the brooder in the feed room, its a lot cosier in there.

The vet came again yesterday to give the pony her annual shots. She had a look at Pirate and said the gland that produces the oils for his/her feathers has been damaged so the poor thing will never be waterproof. The vet said I need to purchase some type of synthetic oil and treat Pirate daily, any advice on this? I know a little about wet feather but this is a whole new ball game for me, does this mean I will have to dry Pirate every time he/she gets wet?

The rainy season has officially started we moved the goslings back to the brooder in the feed room, its a lot cosier in there.

The vet came again yesterday to give the pony her annual shots. She had a look at Pirate and said the gland that produces the oils for his/her feathers has been damaged so the poor thing will never be waterproof. The vet said I need to purchase some type of synthetic oil and treat Pirate daily, any advice on this? I know a little about wet feather but this is a whole new ball game for me, does this mean I will have to dry Pirate every time he/she gets wet?
I'd say your best option would be to dry pirate instead of trying to oil him up I can't see that working since it wouldn't be the same as what they produce . In the heat of summer it wouldn't be bad if he took time to dry but the cooler months would be the problem but you could just put the pool up once it gets cold. Most of us who lives where it gets below freezing have to do that anyway.

This is the pond that will be theirs we are busy fixing it up, they love their trips to the pond always exploring.

This is my broody Australorp hen Beach she is fascinated by the goslings, always comes to greet them. They are scared of her but she wont hurt them I think she wants to adopt them lol.

This is the pond that will be theirs we are busy fixing it up, they love their trips to the pond always exploring.

This is my broody Australorp hen Beach she is fascinated by the goslings, always comes to greet them. They are scared of her but she wont hurt them I think she wants to adopt them lol.
@Nanna34 they looks so tiny in that big area. lol that will be a nice pond for them. I have 2 BA's they are 2.5 yrs old and have never gone broody, I have read of others saying theirs are good broody's but mine have never shown any interest.

@Nanna34 they looks so tiny in that big area. lol that will be a nice pond for them. I have 2 BA's they are 2.5 yrs old and have never gone broody, I have read of others saying theirs are good broody's but mine have never shown any interest.

I cant stop mine I have 5 hens and when the one goes broody the rest follows, if I did not breed with them it would be an issue lol. I got Plymouth barred rock x Potchefstroom Koekoek hens to lay eggs for me when they BAs go broody. I will have about 50 chicks by the end of the month, and that is only the eggs they are sitting on I have more in the incubator. I want to try and incubate some of the goose eggs next year as well.

I cant stop mine I have 5 hens and when the one goes broody the rest follows, if I did not breed with them it would be an issue lol. I got Plymouth barred rock x Potchefstroom Koekoek hens to lay eggs for me when they BAs go broody. I will have about 50 chicks by the end of the month, and that is only the eggs they are sitting on I have more in the incubator. I want to try and incubate some of the goose eggs next year as well.
Amazing, do you sell chicks? to have that many hatching at once? My brooders are my 2 Bantam ladies.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom