Raising Geese and Turkeys with ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Aug 14, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Okay, I have poultry fever....now am considering turkeys (breed research not done yet) and geese (pilgrim). Turkeys for meat (assuming I can convince myself I can butcher a bird) and geese primary because I understand they are good lawn mowers [​IMG] Anyone raise turkeys and geese with their ducks? Any housing, behavior, or other significant issues?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    All of mine are raised together with no problems. The geese don't like to be housed in the chicken house. They sleep on the ground year round. I don't have predators in my area, so they are safe. Some of the ducks like going into the chicken stalls at night but the others sleep outside the chicken house. The turkeys will roost in the chicken stalls or on top of the 10 foot tall chicken houses and chicken coops.

All seem to get along ok. The turkeys will bully every now and then but they are just juvenile teenagers. The only thing that I would suggest is that you contact your local AG office to see if blackhead is a problem in your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by