Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by houndit, Mar 21, 2010.

1. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. starlingdaly

starlingdaly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    OH MY GOODNESS YES YOU ARE SO RIGHT. My turkey hen is STILL being a bit stubborn about me not wanting her broody. I did give her eggs but she broke two of them and they were expensive (chicken eggs) so I put her in a pen alone for several days and when I let her out she *seemed fine* until I came back an hour later to find her incubating a broody bantam! I boarded up the nesting boxes so only the chickens could fit but she could still reach her neck in there and STOLE eggs every time one was laid for what seemed like forever! And now she sleeps in the hen house next to the nesting boxes creeping my broody out. The whole situation would be completely hilarious if I hadn't lost those important eggs. :) No matter what fowl you keep... It's never boring! :)

3. How did you Re-Home them? I need to get my guineas out of the Chicken Coop. I do not want to roof it, and I am tired of chasing them!?

4. itsjustme

itsjustme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Indiana

5. starlingdaly

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    It's probably not that your males are sterile but much more likely the eggs have just been through too much. You should either candle tonight or do eggtopsy if you succeed in running her off. I have a feeling you will find that most of them began development to some degree.

6. itsjustme

Apr 5, 2013
    Indiana
    I really don't think its a problem with my boys. I think they just lay in a bad spot and to much commotiin in the rest caused problems. I wasn't able to run her off it today. I'm going to need another set of hands. She will come off the nest to get me and that's it. Its hard grabbing up that many eggs while your being flogged by an angry momma. Maybe tomorrow I can get some help?

7. starlingdaly

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC

Ahaha. I'll come over and help and we can both get flogged!! Haha. :)

P.S. I am very pleased with how tame one of my hatchery guineas is turning out but so sad it's legs and beak are not the bright beautiful orange that my friend's guineas are.

8. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Certain colors/varieties of Guineas have different colored legs... but I have never seen any Guineas (other than keets) that have orange beaks. Is your friend's Guinea an adult?

9. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA

10. itsjustme

Apr 5, 2013
    Indiana
    that's awesome that they are getting tame. I was told you couldn't tame them so I didn't try real hard to. Mine will eat out of your hands come when called but none like to be held or touched for thst matter ( think I mentioned this b4) and bright orange beaks and legs? On adults? I have never seen such.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by